No sound after downloading wmp 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul quest

Hi guys,

I'm using XP and downloaded WMP 10 a few days ago. ( I had no problems with WMP 9) I am able to play images on the screen but I no longer have sound. I have tried the troubleshooting section for sound. I've been onto windows site for advice, worked my way through a few books but still no sound.

I keep getting told that I have no sound device or it is switched off. The volume control icon has also gone, I cannot highlight anything to do with the volume when in its window.

I have even downloaded a sound device without sucess. I even looked at the codecs (I don't know what they do but was following the advice given on line by an operator.) Other than taking my pc to somebody I am at a loss as to what I should do now. :giddy:

Any advice would be greatly received.

Cheer, Paul.

Have you tried one of these possible solutions?

System restore to a point before you installed WMP10.

Uninstalling WMP10 which will automatically roll back to WMP9.

Look in device manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation or question marks next to your audio devices.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Thanks,
I restored my system to the day before installing wmp 10. I now have all my sound back. :)
Windows then offered me updates, I can only assume that wmp 10 will be there as well. I don't really want to re install it so how do I get around this but still get the other updates?

Thanks again..I have sound :bounce:

Cheers, Paul.

The easiest way is to disable automatic updates.

Right click my computer and select properties then the automatic updates tab and turn off automatic updates click apply ok.

Now in order to get updates click start windows updates cutom installs and you can choose which updates you want.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Hey guys,

I've had problems with my sound the last couple days too. I would install my sound drivers and they'd be running without conflict in my device manager but when I opened my sound options in control panel it showed 'no device'. I went to numerous forums where they all told me to uninstall my drivers and install them again, or to enable sounds in windows or to install non-WDM drivers but nothing worked! UNTIL today. I came across a post(sorry, can't remember where...) that told me to make sure that my 'plug and play software device enumerator' was installed. AND IT wasn't! Installing it was kinda complicated and involved copy and pasting this:

md \temp
cd \temp
copy %windir%\inf\machine.inf \temp\allmachine.inf
copy %windir%\system32\drivers\swenum.sys \temp
copy %windir%\system32\streamci.dll \temp notepad \temp\allmachine.inf

into cmd line and then opening the allmachine.inf with notepad and erasing what was on line 20(or so..)
under the line [ControlFlags]

then adding new hardware through the control panel
select pick a list
and click on have a disk
and choose the allmachine.inf file that is in the c:\temp folder
it will give you a new list of devices you can choose and the 'plug and play software device enumerator'
install it
and then reinstall your soundcard drivers!
done.

*please note* These are very general instuctions. They were laid out much clearer on another post. I wish I had the link for you but with this information I'm sure you'll find it if you look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back