TechSpot

no sound after uninstalling wimamp (did not reboot immediately)

By jor-el
Oct 19, 2007
  1. hi. good am.
    i hav a problem with my laptop. i needed storage space so i started deleting programs thru add-remove-programs in control panel. one of them was winamp which advised me to restart my computer, which i failed to do because i wanted to uninstall/remove more programs before restarting once and for all. after removing more programs i finally restarted my computer. since then my speakers stopped working. shutting down and restarting makes a sound as if speakers are turned on/off physically, but it doesn't sound for wave files and any music files as it used to.

pc specs:
    compaq presario
    amd duron processor
    240mb ram
    runs on win xp (home edition)

i checked the ff:
    1. volume not muted
    2. sound driver enabled and working properly (AC'97 VIA Audio)

i tried to replace/update the sound driver with a new one from the internet, with Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE), but it didn't work. don't know what to do next.

please help...

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Well. Removing Winamp isn't what killed your sound, and removing without rebooting didn't do it either.

Check your Device Manager and see if you can see your sound card in there. Also be on the lookout for any question marks. I suspect somehow you removed your sound card driver. I'm not sure why your attempt at reinstalling the driver didn't work though, maybe you accidentally got the wrong one? What model number is that presario? Perhaps one of us can find the correct driver for you.

3. jor-el

jor-el TS Rookie Topic Starter

System Model: Presario 700US 470020-490
    No question marks in Device Manager

XP doesn't prompt that a new hardware is found either. what could be wrong?

4. zipperman

zipperman TS Rookie Posts: 1,179   +7

I hate to ask such a basic ?
    But have you checked your volume controls ?

5. jor-el

yes, volume controls checked. control for wave, sw synth, cd player, pc speaker, and master volume control checked and unmuted. what else do you think i should check?... pls help

6. jor-el

My system is:
    Presario 700US 470020-490 AMD Duron 900 MHz
    Windows XP Home edition

Which sound driver should I look for?

7. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

8. zipperman

Check here

Dxdiag/Sound and Music tests.
    Post results or send to sound card maker.

9. Tmagic650

It's a laptop Zipper... ADI SoundMax chip no sound card

10. zipperman

Whats the difference

Any laptop or desktop OS can use dxdiag.
    Did You ? Don't ask for help if you don't follow it.
    It appears you have internal audio.Read your manual.
    What version of dxdiag do you have ?
    Buy a Sound Card.
    :cool:

11. Tmagic650

I didn't say you couldn't use DXdiag on a laptop. It is simple to just reinstall the audio driver to recover sound abilities. If the laptops on-board sound can't be restored, an external sound device can sometimes be used

12. zipperman

Lets help jor-el,not debate who's advice is best.Let him decide.
    ===============================================
    dxdiag will tell you if any problems where found jor-el.
    Device Manager will tell you if the drivers are installed.

13. Tmagic650

During jor-el's uninstalling programs, he probably got the message "uninstalling this device may affect other programs"... "Do you really want to do this?" Part of the sound driver was accidentally deleted. The device manager might have a yellow asterisk on one of the sound device entries. Reinstalling the driver I presented in a link, might be all that is needed here.

We are not debating anything. I have used DXdiag many times. It usually says that there is nothing wrong... when we know otherwise

14. jor-el

Wow!
    I followed Tmagic650's advice and downloaded ADI Soundmax and installed it. A yellow question mark showed in device manager but I ignored it because it was not specifically on the Sound/Audio category. (I even deleted it.) So I searched the web to find dxdiag. I found it in Windows Help & Support. I never knew it is part of windows and it can be used using Run...

So I ran dxdiag and did the tests and found "DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (user verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)" -- this prompted me to go back to device manager and experiment more until I right clicked a line and found an option to "Scan for hardware changes". After choosing it the yellow question mark re-appeared and a balloon message on the task bar tray said that a new hardware is found. I clicked on the message and then an installation process started running. After it finished I adjusted the volume and a sound was heard. Amazing!

I learned so much from you both, Tmagic650 and Zipperman. Also, SNGX1275's original assessment is right. I thought you were just talking lightly when u said ur group could find a driver for me perhaps. But your word lifted my spirit. After months in silence, my speakers finally speak. You are gods on the web... TYVM!

ps. now my back hurts... :)

15. Tmagic650

Good work jor-el,
    next time be a little more careful in deleting things. If you ever see a note like "this might be used by some other program"... leave it alone. Happy computing!

16. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

You're welcome. Often times I don't have the time or energy to write a big long reply so I write how I see the problem and what steps to take next in as few of words as possible, and sometimes that comes out sounding badly. Glad you got it fixed.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.