No sound and cdrom not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

gouki1340

Hi all,running windows xp sp2,here recently I stopped getting any sound and cdrom not recognized.I still get this after a complete reinstall,and also taking out the cmos battery to reset the bios.Getting ready to run spybot and adaware in safe mode,besides that I have no clue.Thanks for any help.

Hi

Well if a reinstall doesnt fix it then running spybot wont do anything.

It would seem to be 2 different problems, lets deal with the CD rom first

Firstly did you use the CD rom to install XP, is this the same CDRom that isnt recognized once the OS is installed.

Is the sound card an onboard one or on a seperate card.

its possible that the sound card is faulty which is why the sound has stopped working, it may also be causing a conflict in XP for some strange reason, try removing all reference to the sound card under Device Manager and then shut down, remove the CD rom and boot up, XP should reinstall the card, but it may need the drivers, if it doesnt find the card or it cant identify it or install it then the card may be faulty.

Now do the same again but remove the card or if its onboard disable it in BIOS, make sure the CDrom is connected and boot up and see if the CDrom now works.

Post back and let us know.

Sorry so long for the reply,fixed the cdrom problem,just updated the firmware.The sound problem was fixed in the bios,thanks for the replies.

Are you using onboard audio , If soo you will need to install motherboard drivers which also install the integrated sound driver,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back