No sound and volume icon has disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help someone please!!!

I have lost the volume icon on the task bar. When I go to Multimedia and Sounds in Control panel, it says that I dont have any sound driver. When I go to Start, Accessories, Entertainment and Volume. When I click on volume it does nothing. I have tried to restore back to when I know I had sound and it still does not bring it back. I am running windows ME. What can I do?

Thanks

Shari

Sounds like your soundcard driverh has been corrupted or is missing altogether.

look in device manager are there any devices that show a yellow question mark or yellow triangle next tot hem? if there is then you need to reinstall the drivers for your sound.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I looked in the device manager and there are not any question marks
or triangles, but there is nothing that looks like a sound card there, either.

How do I reinstall my sound card?

Thanks

Shari

I would say try reinstalling the soundcard drivers. if you have onboard sound then the drivers should be on your motherboard disk,

if yu have the motherboard drivers disk put it it in the drive and when it starts you should fins a section that has the motherboard drivers on it. just click install.

I put in my application recovery cd and reinstalled my crystal sound driver and then restarted my computer and still there is no sound or sound drivers, any more ideas???

Thanks again

Shari

Had yuo installed any software or hard ware (or uninstalled) before this happned?

I have not, however, my children use this computer and they also say that they havent and I havent found anything new on here but....ya never know with kids!!! I thought that too, so I restored it back to a point when I know that I had sound and still there is no sound or drivers.

Hope you can help me

Shari

Buy a very cheap sound card ($10-15) for troubleshooting purposes or as a permanent solution.A Spare sound card is always is a good thing to have anyway.

it could be that your onboard sound has just died. Peddant's sugggestion should solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back