No Sound Device Found

By rottenapple
May 22, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Hello TechSpot,

I have a ASUS P4P800, I recently installed windows xp pro. SP3
    and since I did that I have no sound. In device manager it come up yellow under
    "Multimedia Controller" and XP PRO cant find the hardware of course.
    That being said I have went through this before when I Installed XP PRO on another HDD
    and fixed the problem. But this time around I cant remember how or what I did.
    I know I downloaded SOUNDMAX from the ASUS website (that's the driver that comes up for my mobo) but when I go to install it it says "DRIVER NOT FOUND REBOOT SYSTEM TRY SETUP AGAIN" and when you restart the PC of course you get the same ERROR message again.
    So I know there is something more I need to install prior to the SOUNDMAX setup.
    I just don't remember what it is or how to find it.
    Usually I just surf forums and pages until I figure it out myself, but I feel like I exhausted all my options Any help would be appreciated,

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,158   +599

Hmm; I think if you run DxDiag it will identify devices and installed/missing drivers.
    (ignore request for signed driver verification).
  3. debbiec12323

debbiec12323 TS Rookie Posts: 17

It is indeed an issue related with drivers, so maybe the one you had before is not compatible with SP3. It is better to use a program to detect what is the actual driver (or drivers) you're missing to not to go blindly trying everything.