No sound heard (AC97 Problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verencius

Hi,

I read almost every post that concerned this problem: no audio playback in AC97 onboard card. It worked just fine for the past two weeks, but it suddenly quit today when I was recording sound from the external device (via microphone). However the mic worked fine previously. So here is what i have got: Fujitsu Siemens Laptop (Amilo A7620) with AC97 card (VT1612A).
The drivers I used previously are manufacturer provided drivers and they worked. I have tried reinstalling the card but nothing changed. There are no hardware conflicts, the device is working properly, the sound bar moves but no sound is heard. I am working on internal speakers, however i have tried listening on the headphones and nothing. Also there is no sound input when i speak through the microphone. A short buzz is heard when i plug headphones / mic so the charge is there. I don't know how to solve this problem. I don't have any Spdif stuff etc.

Also there is this funny half duplex modem in the audio devices (and given as a choice to audio input and playback) however it is not used by the system. the default is set to AC97 Vinyl. Disabling the modem does not help. Is it supposed to be there. Also as it is a laptop I cannot set AC97 Audio controller Off/On.

Please help. the laptop is still under warranty but they don't guarantee integrity of my data so i don't want to return it to them. So quickly. However they were notified of my problem ASAP.

Best Regards

Hi,

I just got a message from tech support. They came to the conclusion that the AC97 chip got burned because of static discharge. So here is my advice to you, never plug in anything that carries electric current while laptop and sound chipset are working. :)

Best Regards,

Verencius

P.S.: don't waste your time on reinstalling the system. If it does not seem like a driver problem (you tried reinstalling drivers and nothing happened) send your mobo to the tech support for replacement, or buy an external soundcard (which you should do anyway). External / PCI soundcards seem to be much more durable and fool proof than the generic AC97 chipsets.

No sound on Mic with AC97

I tried something from my old tech support days to verify if it was the Mic or the port.

If you are using a headset, try plugging the sound port into the mic and then speak through the headset. Or you can use a standard speaker of any type and plug it into the mic port and try speaking. The quality will be bad, but if you can record or hear yourself, then you know the port is NOT fried! I have the same problem with my AC97 on three computers. It appears that the AC97 does not like to have a mic plugged in. I can only assume this is a problem with the Service Pack I am using or some other software incompatibility. I am running Win2000 with Service Pack 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back