No sound on ANY dvd player after WMP11 installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gryphon709

Let me start by saying that I am completely computer illiterate so if you think I sound like an *****, you are probably right. And if this is posted in the wrong forum, I apologize.

So here is the deal. My computer played DVD's fine on all dvd players (Windows Media Center, WMP 10, and Sony Cineplayer, all of which came with the machine if I remember correctly...at least the Sony and Wind. Med. Center ones did...don't remember whether I installed WMP10 or not) until installing WMP11. Now, it doesn't matter whether I use WMP11, revert back to WMP10, or use Sony Cineplayer that came with the computer...none of them give me sound. The picture is fine and the it isn't the speakers or something equally stupid because I can play CD's without a problem and my computer has no qualms about making awful noises when I do something it doesn't like.

I ran the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility per the advice for someone else on another forum and it says that the "Sonic CM(R) DS Video Decoder 4.0 is not compatible with the synchronization feature of WMP10. We recommend against setting this decoder as the preferred one."

I have no idea what that means or whether it is useful information.

Anyway, I am at a loss for what to do or what info you might need...help?? Please?? :D

BTW, It is a Dell Dimension E510 with Windows XP Media Center Edition. Under DVD/CD-ROM drives it says "_NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A" and TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352C"

~Megan

Ok since you're not a computer person i'll try and not be really technical ;)

Have you tried using a diffrent player like RealPlayer or something like that?

Also you could go to the player's website and see if there is a new update for the driver and can you hear any other sound with your computer?

Hope I helped :D

Also... Welcome to Techspot! :)

TimeParadoX said:
Ok since you're not a computer person i'll try and not be really technical ;)

Have you tried using a diffrent player like RealPlayer or something like that?

Also you could go to the player's website and see if there is a new update for the driver and can you hear any other sound with your computer?

Hope I helped :D

There is no sound only for DVD's only on either WMP11, Sony Cineplayer, Windows Media Player, or RealPlayer. This problem only started after installing WMP11. Nothing else changed other than that....I can hear my CD's, and other audio media fine, just not the sound component of any dvd.

As for the player's website, I haven't looked for updates because I honestly don't know what to look for. My car mechanic logic tells me that installing WMP11 did something to screw up the sound for other players because, like I said, it played fine before the install, but no sound after...but car mechanic logic isn't computer person logic, I'm finding...because I have NO idea what is wrong. Anyway, even when I reverted back to WMP 10, dvd's were still soundless, much like the agonized scream of frustration issuing from my lips at the moment.

Try a new movie player like RealPlayer or DivX Player because they are good, Since your sound works on all other stuff then it's the player itself and not your sound card / onboard sound

Maybe I am not making sense...I did try real player and it does the exact same thing...no sound with the dvd's....as does every player on my machine. None of them work, and that is what is confusing me.

Edit: All of them have picture, none have sound.

Oh sorry, I didnt read where you said you used RealPlayer :blush: sorry about that ;)

Hmm... Does it have no sound with all DVDs or no?

Have you tried the DVDs on a normal DVD player or another computer?

Yeah, all the DVD's I've tried work fine on my TV's DVD player and on my bf's laptop.
It is just my computer *that* refuses to play the sound for any DVD....spiteful machine.

Hmm... Quite a weird problem Gryphon...

I'll try and help you as much as I can ;)

Try uninstalling the players and reinstalling, Try booting PC, try updating / downdating ( is that a word? :haha: ) the players

Also what OS do you have? ( like Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista, Mac, Linux )

OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, SP2...

I will try uninstalling and reinstalling WMP and/or REal player since I have already rebooted repeatedly to no avail.

Also try updating the device drivers for them and see if there is a update for your Onboard / Sound Card ok?

Go to Start > Run > DxDiag then the Sound Tab and google the name it gives you and find the update to it ( Just in case it's the sound itself )

gryphon709 said:
Let me start by saying that I am completely computer illiterate so if you think I sound like an *****, you are probably right. And if this is posted in the wrong forum, I apologize.

So here is the deal. My computer played DVD's fine on all dvd players (Windows Media Center, WMP 10, and Sony Cineplayer, all of which came with the machine if I remember correctly...at least the Sony and Wind. Med. Center ones did...don't remember whether I installed WMP10 or not) until installing WMP11. Now, it doesn't matter whether I use WMP11, revert back to WMP10, or use Sony Cineplayer that came with the computer...none of them give me sound. The picture is fine and the it isn't the speakers or something equally stupid because I can play CD's without a problem and my computer has no qualms about making awful noises when I do something it doesn't like.

I ran the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility per the advice for someone else on another forum and it says that the "Sonic CM(R) DS Video Decoder 4.0 is not compatible with the synchronization feature of WMP10. We recommend against setting this decoder as the preferred one."

I have no idea what that means or whether it is useful information.

Anyway, I am at a loss for what to do or what info you might need...help?? Please?? :D

BTW, It is a Dell Dimension E510 with Windows XP Media Center Edition. Under DVD/CD-ROM drives it says "_NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A" and TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352C"

~Megan
Megan,

I had the exact same problem. I went to control panel and uninstalled the wmp11 update. that didn't fix the problem. Then I went to the Intervideo WinDVD (http://www.intervideo.com/WinDVD/) site and downloaded the latest version of their software (trial version of course (can be used for 14 days). Anyway, I installed it, rebooted and WHAM... my dvd player began playing audio again. I have no idea how it happened, but it worked. Try it, I hope it works for you as well.

Dennis in Hawaii.

Hiya gryphon709 (Megan),

I was experiencing the same problem as you with WMP11. DVD video but no sound. Audio CDs and all other sound working fine.

No rearranging of settings had the slightest effect. After talking to the only tech support guys I knew and not getting anywhere- I Googled on the problem and luckily found a link to this thread.

After reading many other postings about similar problems elsewhere I had come to the tentative conclusion that it was some sort of codec problem. But the subjects of codec is pushing the limits of my technical expertise out to the edge of the envelope.

My tech support guy told me that PowerDVD was the normal software that he bundles with his new PCs. I had also heard that installing this payware product would solve the codec issue with WMP11. But didn't feel much like paying for something that I wasn't sure about.

Thankfully I found this thread. I downloaded the linked file, installed it and "TAAAADAAAAA, it works" for me, too!

BTW- how did you happen to locate that website and that file?

Anyway- just wanted to say, Thank you!!:grinthumb

Cheers,
Chris

I'm glad it worked for you too...

As for how I found it, well, I can't quite remember because the whole experience was so traumatic that I blocked it. Really though, I googled the problem for about three days and just stumbled across it accidentally....I had nearly given up.

So...YAYYY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back