no sound on xp reinstallation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed xp home on a different partition because xp pro would not boot. i get an error message in media player saying i have no audio device. tried downloading drivers but failed to restore sound. please help

Try deleting the Sound card /drivers in Device manager and reloading at reboot-force windows to use the download file. .Sometimes this is best done in Safe Mode.
Or you can try upgrading these drivers in device Manager.After you click on upgrade,point the wizard to your downloaded files.

i tried that but it didn't work. fact is i'm a novice when it comes to computers. i don't even know the name of my sound card, think it's a sis735 just not sure

That sounds like built into your Motherboard. If you are on XP you can go to System Information at Programs >Accessories
Mark down these items .You can also post them in your Profile here ,Just click on your name above.This will make it easier and quicker to get help here.
You probabley need to go to the Web site of your Mb manufacturer and download driver/software for your Sound, but you need to know the proper model and number.

the system info i got is:
os microsoft windowsxp home edition
version 5.1.2600 service pack 2
system manufacture ecs
system model m830
system type x86-based pc
bios version american megatrends
sound unimodem half duplex audio device

Double click on the speakers icon at the bottom right corner of your screen and check if any of the controls is MUTED, then clear it. Sometimes this happens when you reinstall drivers.

I noticed you stated you had installed XPHome to another partition because of problems...
It's possible that installing drivers is happening to install to the old partition.

More info on your drives/partitions etc.

patio. :cool:

I downloaded "realtec ac'97 audio configuration" and got my sound back. i was wondering if i have to download more drivers cause my computer does not make any sound when logging on or off. thaNx guys!!!

For the event sounds in Win go to Control Panel / Sounds / and select or assign them there...

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back