No Sound! Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
problem just started today.

at first all sounds were about a half octave higher than they should have been. all music i tried to play was higher pitched as well. i restarted the computer to see if that would help and it just made it worse. everything was even higher pitched. and now i don't get any sound at all. it said i didn't have a sound device installed. i went to manage devices and there weren't any of the ! in a triangle things on anything. i did the following:

i uninstalled the realtek ac97 and restarted the computer and it automatically found and installed realtek ac7 audio for via. it says i have a sound device now. and again there are no ! in triangles on anything when i go to manage devices.

BUT I STILL DON'T HAVE SOUND!!!!!

i need sound so i can use programs to write music for class and listen to the lectures i audio recorded.

someone please help me asap.

thank you
utherdude

I think it is time to ditch the on-board realtek sound and get a PCI based sound card. They are not expensive, and the sound is far superior to on-board sound

tmagic - i'm basically computer illiterate. whats a pci soundcard?

blind dragon - its a compaq presario 6000. there is a big sticker on it thats says 6410NX. idk if that has to do with the model. its an oldy. its got windows xp home edition.

thanks for replying guys. or girls. or guy and girl.

Are u getting any error messages related to sound drivers.....??????

if there are any ...then it could help us to find a right solution...

what our friend woofy dog is trying to say is that you need to go purchase a piece of hardware (rectangular shaped silicon + plastic) that plays better quality sounds than what your computer currently does. so go to your local brick and mortar shop (walmart, circuit city, etc) and go to the computer isles and ask for assistance in sound cards. ask for a basic soundblaster card.

hope this helps without insulting your intellegence, if it has, i apoligize in advance ;)

technokid - no, i am not getting error messages. there just isn't sound. i hooked up my ipod to the speakers and they work. so they're not the problem.

sukitz - no offense taken. i realize that i don't know a lot about my computer. i learn as i go though.

utherdude said:
technokid - no, i am not getting error messages. there just isn't sound. i hooked up my ipod to the speakers and they work. so they're not the problem.

sukitz - no offense taken. i realize that i don't know a lot about my computer. i learn as i go though.

k good :) one last suggestion is to go to the ac codec website and download the newest ac '97 drivers. ive done it just as an update and didnt have any problems. maybe its worth a shot

i got a codec off the realteck site. not luck.

i'll try that last thing tmagic sent and i'll be back with news on it.

thanks

yay!!!!

tmagic - the site you sent worked!!!!!!!!

wooo!!!!!!!!

now i better do my sound tecnology homework. ha!

thanks!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back