No sound when playing video files

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro for about 2 months with no problems, but I recently installed a Santa Cruz sound card, and various ATI functions have stopped working acoustically. First, the packaged ATI File Player (for avi, dvx, mpeg) outputs video but no audio. And the TV-In-Demand function (records TV-out to the harddrive) also lacks sound play. But the regular TV viewer and the DVD Player play sound just fine, and playing the sound works when playing the same avi, mpg, files on WinDVD some of the time. Can anyone help? I'm not a real tech expert, so any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried re-installing your Catalyst drivers and software to see if they can pick up your new sound card? Is the old sound card out of Device Manager? Sounds like some type of conflict.

Thanks for the advice, Masque. I re-installed the Catalyst drivers to no avail. My tower originally came with the sound card built-in the motherboard, which I identified as 'SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio'. I disabled that prior to installing the ATI 9000 Pro. In Device Manager, under ' Sound, Video and Game Controllers', ATI is running 'WDM Rage Theater Audio' and 'WDM TV Audio Crossbar.' There is also 'Audio Codecs', 'Legacy Audio Drivers' and of course the Santa Cruz. Could the conflict be in one of these active devices? If so, How do I know which?

You should also disable the on board sound from within the bios this may be causing a conflict, there should be an option in the bios under intergrated peripherals, or an option along those lines just go through until you come across on board sound and disable.

Do you receive any errors at all? Something akin to "codec not found" and the system is trying to retrieve it? Also, are you under Windows 2000 by chance?

I followed Terranova's advice and disabled 'Sound' under 'Advanced Peripherals' in BIOS. Now, the TV won't work and the following errors come up: WDM devices INF file not installed.

WDM devices are not listed in registry.

WDM devices are not loaded or enumerated by the device manager.

WDM devices are not registered with DirectShow

Explanation: There is a problem with the WDM drivers. TV and video capture must have these components.

Should I go back and enable 'Sound' in BIOS or should this be happening? Should I just get a diff. driver from ATI 's website?

Nah, don't worry about the ATI drivers....I was only curious due to the Rage Theater Audio and such.

My question is, are you sure your Santa Cruz has been properly detected? Also, what kind of motherboard is this....and how old as well?

Problem solved! I downloaded a recent visual driver patch (posted 12/03) from Intel's website that fixes an AGP support problem in Windows. Thanks Masque, and Terranova, for the helpful advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back