No sound with Win 98SE OS, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgan9311

I have no sound with my Win 98SE OS. My drivers are all working and when I try to update the driver, it tells me I need the CD. However, I don't have the 98SE CD. Is there anyway to bypass this or anywhere can I get the Win 98SE CD for a really, really cheap price? Thanks to all.

Mgan9311

What Brand and type(laptop or PC) do you have? Do you have a License/COA sticker on the machine with a Product Key for W98SE?

I guess this is what I get for posting when I am not at home. I never noticed a sticker on it and it was custom made by someone who gave to PC to me. I do know its a Pentium II though. Is there another way I can find this information out through the computer? I think it might be an HP.

First, go to the volume control and see if it is on Mute. lol
If it is an HP all you have to do to is google: "model number sound drivers" and it will find them off the HP site.

To find information about your computer go to start> programs> accessories> system tools> system information.

Also you could try removing and reinstalling the current drivers.

LOL! Tried that already, but the volume thing won't show up when you go to start, programs, accessories, entertainment, volume control! It must be ghost volume. Also here we have a:

Genuine Inel Pentium II Processor
256 MB RAM
65% resources free

and found my registration number...don't know if anyone needs it...OEM

That is all the information it gave me. I guess its not an HP then.

Funny thing is...In System Info...Components....Display....I get Driver not installled for:

default.tvp
nvwcplen.hlp
nvcpl.hlp
nvagp.inf

Then under problems...it said there are no devices with problems. Go figure. So, I just bought W98SE off amazon.com....now what do I do when I get it in?

Shouldn't have went and bought it just yet but oh well. You should uninstall the current drivers and find out what your soundcard is. Then google for the drivers EX: sound blaster audigy 2 drivers

I just did all this on my old Compaq Presario 1245 laptop.

Windows 98 se. likes to ask you questions while you install it.

** NOTE ** when it tells you to put the win98 CD in the CD-Rom. Put the CD in, hit "okay" and then you have to type d:\win98 (if D drive is your cd-rom).
I had the problem of just putting D: and it never recognized anything.

But if you DO have a compaq, then the HP site should have the drivers. Otherwise go to www.driverguide.com its a real pain with all the ads and signing up. but its free =D

Get us some more information by telling us just the general name.. like Dell Dimension 2700 or Compaq 1220.

But if you want to start with a clean slate computer (reinstal windows). Just put the CD-Rom in and restart your PC. Then select "Boot from CD-Rom" instead of "Boot from Hard Disk" This will be a good learning experience for ya =D

windowsmonopoly,

I know I shouldn't have just yet, but I got so frustrated I gave up. My uncle and I went through the whole driver update driver thing...it said the drivers were installed correctly with no problems but to update driver, enventually to load CD, and until you taught me how to find the info about my PC, I didn't know it was going to say driver not installed. Argg!! Sorry, I am so new to this here...my first very own computer. I might go ahead and try to sound blaster audigy 2 driver download after I uninstall it before the CD gets to me. By the way, how do I know which is the correct driver to uninstall? Would it say plug and play driver?

The driver I have is a plug and Play ES1868 or something to that effect. The manufacturer could not be found. We even tried driverguide.com and got the driver but it didn't work either. We didn't uninstall the original, we just tried to update it.

Benken,

the only thing I found out was that its a Genuine Inel Pentium II Processor,
256 MB RAM. There is no brand name on the computer...I believe it was custom built. I took off the cover last night and searched for anthing and everything..no sticker, no nothing. After I try windowmonopoly's idea, I am just going to reinstall window98Se. if this happens will I loose all installed programs that i have previously installed?

Win98 will always ask for a disk when it updates/removes a hardware, network, or software related component that is part of the system workings.. (summerise: 90% or so of ajustable settings in control panel).

To make it easyer on yourself, pop in the cd, go to the cd directory and copy the WIN98 folder to a location on your hdd, preferably on C:/. That way when it ask you for a CD, then just type in C:/WIN98 and presto.. you can file away the cd in a safe place not having to use it untill its due for a format/maintainance etc.. I haven't found a reg fix or sorts to make it (insert cd thing) automaticaly look in one particular folder yet.. maybe when i load a win98 on a pc later i'll give it a look..

if you do format, you will loose all your data on that drive, so backup anything you deem important..

is the audio onboard or soundcard? use SIW to check your hardware components

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/155-siw-system-info.html

then go to its manufacture website and download appropriate drivers there

mgan9311 said:
windowsmonopoly,

I know I shouldn't have just yet, but I got so frustrated I gave up. My uncle and I went through the whole driver update driver thing...it said the drivers were installed correctly with no problems but to update driver, enventually to load CD, and until you taught me how to find the info about my PC, I didn't know it was going to say driver not installed. Argg!! Sorry, I am so new to this here...my first very own computer. I might go ahead and try to sound blaster audigy 2 driver download after I uninstall it before the CD gets to me. By the way, how do I know which is the correct driver to uninstall? Would it say plug and play driver?

The driver I have is a plug and Play ES1868 or something to that effect. The manufacturer could not be found. We even tried driverguide.com and got the driver but it didn't work either. We didn't uninstall the original, we just tried to update it.

Benken,

the only thing I found out was that its a Genuine Inel Pentium II Processor,
256 MB RAM. There is no brand name on the computer...I believe it was custom built. I took off the cover last night and searched for anthing and everything..no sticker, no nothing. After I try windowmonopoly's idea, I am just going to reinstall window98Se. if this happens will I loose all installed programs that i have previously installed?
This is the Drivers' page from the MFR's website(ESS-Tech)
for your sound card, ES1868.
http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm#pci

thank you both so much. I will try it tonight!

-several hours pass-

Okay....its tonight! I followed the link! I saw that I could find out what my sound card is for sure...then find the driver version I have. So I did this before I attempted to download anything. ONLY I HAD ABSOLUTELY NO DRIVERS INSTALLED AT ALL! HA! So...I went through all that just to be sure. Then, I was looking at all the pretty driver downloads...and I found it-the right one, so I downloaded it, unziped it, and attempted to install it. Then I had to do the infamous restart. I restarted...and was promoted 5-10 times to insert the CD. I haven't even received it yet! So all I did was keep saying the file location was on the desktop! Only, it still kept propmting the stupid saying (Insert Disk)...that stupid @#@!$!# computer (of course it is probably really me that is stupid)! Argg! Then all of a sudden, I thought, let me just close this thing out and see what happens. And sure enough! It continues with the installation! HA! Got you, didn't I you stupid computer! Then everything looks just like it did and I thought "well, this was a waste". Then I thought, I am going to open volume control and see what happens! So I did and YIPPEE KAI-YAI-A! It opens and I can actually move the volume things up and down!! I didn't give up there...I wanted to make sure it was going to work. So I checked out my sounds for windows...let me tell you...that first "ding" I heard made me almost fall out of my chair. I didn't realize that I could actually do this and make it work! I worked on it for 1 hour and now I have sound! I still don't regret buying the CD, knowing me, something else would go wrong and I would really need it. I think I will upgrade to XP in the year 2023 when the price gets below $50.

Thank you so much for your help. I just don't know what to say... except "DING"!

good to hear that its solved.. just follow my tip on the win98 cd -> c:/ when it comes in.. saves you lots of troubles in the future....

cheers :)
N3051M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back