No sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpbradley

I just re-installed windows XP upgrade from 2000, I am running a MSI RX 480 neo2 mainboard with on board audio and I have no sound. I installed the xp drivers directly from the manufactures website and I still get nothing. I checked the device manager and it shows the drivers are installed, I go to play a audio cd and nothing. Any ideas how I can get my sound back?

Check through start/control panel/admin tools/services that the Windows Audio is enabled.

Checks CCT has listed:

Check the motherboard bios to ensure sound is enabled.

Check Start, All Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Volume Control to ensure no 'mute' box is ticked and volume sliders are at maximum.

Check Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager for any yellow alert markings.

Check Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services for the Windows Audio entry and ensure it isa set to automatic and is started.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Speaker Volume to ensure speakers volume is maximum and then check Advanced to ensure speaker setup is right.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio - make sure a default device is entered for Sound Playback and for Midi Music Playback.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - click on the cd/dvd and make sure it is enabled then look at properties - properties to make sure the cd/dvd isn't muted and the sound volume is at maximum.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - there should be an Audio Codecs entry and an entry for the Audio Controller.

The audio codecs can be further explored by clicking properties - properties. A number of codecs may be displayed. It may be useful to select the Microsoft codecs

one at a time and click properties and re-number them 1-5 such that they are the default codes. Make a note of the original sequence of priority so you can return to the original later if you want to.

The audio controller can be further explored by clicking properties. Make sure the device is enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back