No speaker or headphones sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

nad1611

Windows Vista.
some time ago we put in a usb webcam with a jack for built in microphone. I accidentally pulled the jack for the speakers and when i replaced the jack a box came up asking what we had plugged in i pressed side speakers and ok but the speakers would not work. We tried headphones in the front green jack and they worked so put the speakers jack in there too clicked the corresponding side speakers and clicked ok and they worked. The wouldn't work at the back. Yesterday I removed the speakers jack to put the headphones in and the same thing has now happened neither speakers or headphone worked.
I have made sure all drivers are up to date, have checked all volume levels etc and plugs. Have turned computer off and on and with jacks in, prior to turning on..
The fact that it was all working one minute and not the next and that it's happened before, is really confusing any ideas?

Have you tried System Restore? Its basically designed for this type of issue

If that doesn't work I'd suggest uninstalling all your sound driver/program, and restarting, then install the most up to date driver again

thanks i'll try system restore although i only seem to be able to restore the system to earlier today and not an earlier time?
Is the uninstalling and installing of said drivers an easy thing?

Yes
Many of these "Audio" installs, are actually Program installs
Therefore have a look in Control Panel > Programs (add/remove) section

Also (meaning "and") you can delete or remove the actual driver from Device Manager
Start > Run > devmgmt.msc -> OK

the system restore seems to have done it, the only trouble is that it's worked when it was jacked in at the front i'm concerned that if i remove the jack again from the front to say put in the headphones the same things going to happen. Of course i'd rather have the jack at the back.

You're right, it may do it again
You could do a scan for Malware (AntiVirus and say >> Malwarebytes scan

Or you could turn off the computer, and then change plugs

yes i tried the plug changing thing before and the speakers only ever seem to work when they do, (since the first time i accidentally pulled it out) when they are in the front jack.

okay thanks very much. Just tried the jack in the back and restore but still didn't work. I will try the additional things you have said but at least it's working in the front.
Many thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back