No Start Menu, no explorer = sick OS sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone! Suddenly nothing appeared to work properly. Tried to restore, however ended up to reinstall XP, download all security patches, installed SP2. Currently the system boots, but the start menu including explorer wont start.
It is frustrating to lose days to try to fix something without knowing the cause of the trouble. One thing is for sure, Microsoft sells defective products.
The HijackThis report is attached, and now it is up to you guys to guide me through this nightmare. Can this problem be solved?

Hello, Garavan, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, you can have HJT fix these entries becaues they have been deactivated:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {89AD4D75-2429-462e-BD4E-443F233F6033} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {A96115A8-3A2B-4B5F-AB48-6B9A3819D7BA} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BCC73622-F72D-4277-803C-D65565A0947F} - (no file)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: jkkiheb - jkkiheb.dll (file missing)

I don't exactly know what "c_8cda.dll" is and i can't get any answers from google, it may or may not be a nasty. It shows up a few times in your log so i'm a bit suspicious of it but like i say, i'm not sure what it is yet. It comes up once in the O2 section, twice in the O9 section and once in the O20 section. Because O20 is things that happen upon logon this could be the root of your problem, however it may require more than just HJT to fix it completely.

Hi Daveskater! Thanks for your reply. Meanwhile I filled in my profile the basic PC infos and fixed the 4 entries with HJT.
BTW, do you have any suggestion what can I do to fix the PC?
I'm also missing in the device manager all USB ports even though all drivers all installed correctly. I can't access my second hard drive either. There is no more /windows/I386 folder and regedit.exe isn't accessibly on the hard drive, but I could access it on the XP installation CD. Lots of the executable programs will not run. The good thing is that I've Internet access and another PC (Laptop) which is running Vista. Have run AVG, fixed errors, restarted PC many times. Followed many advices found on the net, but nothing helped so far. Please advise what else can I do?

What i would advise right now is for you to fix these entries, as the only result google gives for c_8cda.dll is this thread ;)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1f2b415d-3637-4c98-b002-1be8b493737d} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\c_8cda.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\c_8cda.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\c_8cda.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: c_8cda - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\c_8cda.dll

If it turns out that these are valid files and it doesn't help your problem then you can restore them because HJT makes backups of everything you fix

These entries can also be removed as they're not doing anything as far as i can tell :)

O23 - Service: Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - (no file)
O23 - Service: Windows User Mode Driver Framework (UMWdf) - Unknown owner - (no file)
O23 - Service: Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) - VIA Technologies, Inc. - (no file)
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - D-Link Corporation - (no file)

Dear Daveskater! I proceeded as advised:
  1. The file c_8cda.dll in the library \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ is 38232 bytes long and was created on November 17 18:45, which could be time when my system started to go crazy - at least I guess so.
  • It cannot be deleted since the del command results to an error: "The process cannot access the file because it is being be used by another process." It could be the winlogon.exe, which cannot be terminated from the task manager's End Process function.
  • Checking "O20 - Winlogon Notify: c_8cda - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\c_8cda.dll" and performing "Fix checked" results to an error with the following details: An unexpected error has occurred at procedure modBackup_MakeBackup(sItem=O20 - Winlogon Notify:c_8cda - c:\Windows\system32\c_8cda.dll) Error #53 - File not found
    Windows version: Windows NT 5.01.2600 MSIE version 6.0.2900.2180 HJT 2.0.2 This is reported as asked on the screen.
  • The 023 types after checked and "Fix checked " is performed appears all the times - like nothing happened, no fix made.

So that's all. Please let me know if above infos helpful were and any solution could be solve the still existing problem. Thanks.

it's a bit strange that it's saying you have IE 6 and the HJT log says "MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!" :confused:

try doing the fixes that won't work in normal mode in safe mode and see if it will fix them then

it's looking a lot cleaner now apart from the few at the end :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back