No Video Card found after installation of GeForce 6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I just purchased an Nvidia 6600 (EVGA/GF 6600) agp video card to upgrade from a GF 4200 pci card on a Pavilion 541c (AMD Athlon XP2000+ 1.67 GHz / 266 with 1024DDR and a Nvidia nForce 420D with on board video disabled).

I opened the case removed the old video card, installed the new video card, turned on my machine and got a repetitive beeping sound and no video, which I've read means the the system can't find any video card. I re-seated the card twice with the same results.

Since this seemed to go no-where, I thought there might be a problem with my card (since the computer should be able to handle it), removed it and tried reinstalling my old card. Now I'm getting the same repetitive beeping and no video with the old card ( tried reseating it also ), and if I try booting with not video card I also get the same result ( though I think this may be because I turned off the integrated video at the bios).

So is
1) both my cards fried ( seems unlikely )
2) my mother board fried ( then why does it complain? )
3) my bios confused and needs to be fixed somehow (hopefully)
4) some other reason I don't know.

Much thanks for any help in this regard.
-niels

I'd start with option 3. Unplug your computer, then remove the power connection to your mother board from the PSU, then remove the CMOS battery. Leave it out for a half hour or so. This will reset your board to it's default settings.

Wait until someone else confirms what I am saying, but I am pretty sure this will default you back to the onboard graphics, so do not install ANY video card at this point.

Turn on the system. Hopefully that'll get you in.

Once in, reboot into safe mode, disable the onboard graphics and power down. Install new card. Turn on system and go into your bios to see if you need to adjust the video boot from onboard to AGP.

Reboot and go into windows, hopefully it'll recognize new hardware and you can install new drivers.

Hope this works! Good luck!

(Confirm whether or not your video card requires its own connection to the PSU. I think it might).

It would be helpful if you can give us your motherboard information as well so we can take a look. A link to it's homepage would be best.

Thank you for the advice!
I won't be able to post the motherboard type until tomorrow (unless your advice works ), since I can only contect from work now and hp doen't list what type of motherboard they use in that model.

-niels

Well I got it to work, but I'm not sure why. I tried reseting the bios, first by using the jumpers, then by removing the battery, but that had no effect. Then I tried re seating all cards on my mother board - no effect. Then I replaced my upgraded memory with what I got with the system, and it work ( anyone know why?). After checking everything was fine with the machine, I installed the agp card, and it worked fine. then I re-installed my upgraded memory, and it worked fine.
confused, but relieved
-niels

btw: My Mother board is a MSI MS-6367 ver 1.0

The only thing I can think of is that your ram wasn't seated correctly. It must have come a little loose when you installed the new card...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back