No video - darnest thing I've ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASUS P5ND21-SLI MB
ATI Radeon X1900XTX video card (PCI-E)

OK this was working just fine for a little over a year. I don't think I ever turned this computer off actually. But one weekend I went away for the weekend so I turned it off. In hind sight, I'm thinking that was a mistake LOL.

So now I have no video. But the weird thing is that everything seems to be working, as far as I can tell, I SHOULD have video.

Check out these symptoms and things I've tried... I'm completely baffled as to even think of a next course of action.

- The computer boots no problem, I can hear the windows start sound.
- If I put in a PCI video card I get video, so I know most everything else is fine.
- Have installed this card in the only other computer that I could find with a PCI-E slot, but they didn't have the 6 port power cable that this card requires, so I got the error message stating that. HOWEVER - I can't even duplicate this error on my computer. I don't even get the video from that error message.

- When the computer is turned on, if I plug in or unplug the monitor (DVI plug is all this card has) I get a sound from windows letting me know about it, the standard new hardware plugged in or unplugged sound notice.

- I've plugged the monitor (LCD display) into another computer and it works fine.

- So assuming that the video card and monitor were working, I sent the mobo back to ASUS for repair, I just got the replacement today. I think they sent me a brand new one, I can't be 100% sure cause I didn't write down the SN, but it had jumper blocks where my old one didn't.

But I still have no video, exact same symptoms.

This one really has me confused. If anyone can offer any advice I'd be extremely grateful. I may end up having to just get a PCI video card and forget the PCI-E Radeon card.

When testing with the other computer, did you use the exact same kind of connector?

Maybe your video card is doing DVI-D (digital) output while your monitor is set to accept DVI-A (analog) or whatever.

I believe they are both DVI-D but to be honest I didn't really know there was a difference till I read this reply and looked it up on wikipedia, so I could be mistaken.

However. I have tried plugging my CRT with VGA connector into a DVI adapter and plugging that into the back of the card. And it didn't seem to be any better than my flat screen which uses a DVI-D cable (or VGA actually) I've actually tried plugging the adapter into the VGA cable off the flat panel display. But nothing there.

Your post actually made me think of something though, I put the PCI video card back in so I could boot up and play around. So I started poking around in the Catylist Control Center. It's really weird because it's detecting EVERYTHING, including the model of my flat panel display.

I might have to bug ATI again, but I'm still not convinced that the video card is bad, and since it's out of warranty I don't really want to spend $75 to send to them to fix a non-existant problem. But if I can get some of their super techy guys on the problem they might have a guess.

have u tried another video card in the slot to make sure the slot is working as suppose too?what I am saying is that your MB could be bad.

Did you happen to get the retail version of that graphics card? I realize different brands come with different bundles of extras but you might have gotten a six pin adapter with your graphics card. If not, I recommend you buy an adapter for two or three dollars and test it in that other PC with the PCI-E slot. Spending a few bucks on the adapter is well worth it to help diagnose whether or not the graphics card is at fault.

I don't actually have another PCI-E video card to test with. But I assumed that because i got video (sort of) from the card in another machine, and the flat screen panel is fine, that the mobo must be bad, so I sent it back to ASUS already and they replaced the mobo. But still no video =(

Thanks for the reply though, I do appreciate it.

I sent an online tech support request to ATI (Owned by AMD now if you didn't know, it was a surprise to me). I only pray that they don't take the easy route and tell me to pay the $75 and send it in.

Joe

No, I was trying to say put your PCI-E graphics card into that other PC you mentioned earlier. Use an adapter for the power connection.

That was actually a reply to the message above yours. You posted while I was typing my reply so you beat me to this thread. Sorry for the confusion.

It's a retail version, but it was built by another company (Cyperpower Systems) and I didn't get that adapter.

And yea, you're right the only way to be sure is to test it with that adapter in place on another computer. Unfortunately the person's computer who I tested it on lives in another state, I just happened to be flying out to visit so took my gfx card with me. So I don't have access to the PC any longer. I've got to see if I can find another friend with a PCI-E slot.

Waiting to see what ATI/AMD says also.

Sorry, I should have noticed but I wasn't paying close enough attention. Too bad about the other PC not being available any more. I happen to have an Asus built Radeon X1900XTX which is working fine so I'd hate to see you discard yours if it's not necessary. If worse comes to worse and $75 fixes the card, that would be better than throwing it away (or setting it aside forever, which amounts to the same thing).

Fixed

I have fixed this problem. I fixed it some time ago but just found this post again and thought I would update it.

The problem was something I never would have thought of in a million years but thanks to a friend of mine I tried it out anyway as a last resort

It was the power supply.

I had completely ruled out the power supply as being the source of the problems for a couple reasons. 1. the computer had previously run just fine with the power supply that it had, and 2. The computer was booting up fine with that power supply with the exception of the video sending to the monitor. You just never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back