No video, no beeps after new HDD install

Hi

I recently replaced my hard drive and got everything back up and running. After a few days, when I went to turn on the computer, I got no signal to my monitor. The power turned on and fans kicked in etc, but no beeps and no signal.

I've tried removing/replacing/cleaning everything but no change. I also removed the battery for 15 minutes and then put it back. No change. I'm thinking it's got to be something up with either the motherboard, CPU or PSU (even though I do get power) but I'm on a tight budget and don't want to buy replacements unless I'm sure it will resolve the problem.

Any suggestions for how I can either fix this or at least determine exactly what needs to be replaced?

I take it this is a SATA harddrive? if so, recheck the SATA cable connections to both the drive and the motherboard. SATA cable's poor design can cause a "loosening" and thus issues such as you are experiencing. we see our share here.

You may want to try a new cable as well.

It is a SATA, yes. I messed with the connections a bit, although I'd already taken them in and out a few times. For some reason, this time it worked. I put all the cards and RAM back in and everything seems back to normal!

I suspect it's gonna die on me again soon though because I don't feel like I actually fixed anything. But thanks for the help :)

Get a new cable. They are inexpensive. Glad you found the issue and thankfully the "repair" is an easy one with little cost to you. :)

* It also could be one of your pieces of hardware just needed to be reseated as well. Still, I would get a new cable because as I said the SATA cables because of their design are problematic not because of data transfer but because of connection issues.

Back