No Video, No Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
This pc originally had a problem with no vieo out and no boot beep etc. I could hear the hard drive start to read but then stopped reading and just spun. All of the fans are running full speed. It had onboard video out so to test that I put in a video card. Same problem.

At this point I decided it would be quicker to start swapping parts. I installed a brand new mother board. PCChips M825G. It says it supports my Athlon A1400AMS3B processor. I also installed 1 stick of new DDR memory. After installing the new board and memory I had the exact same problem. I figured the power supply might be it so I tested the output and all of the voltages were good. Just to be sure I replaced the power supply. Still the same problem. So next I stuck in a different processor. Same problem.

Now I'm thinking maybe the mobo is shorted so I pull it out of the chassis and lay it on an insulated board. All I had connected to it were the fans, the keyboard, the monitor, the speaker and the power switch. I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! I'm about fit to be tied. Everything but the hard drive has been replaced and I still can't get this thing to run. By the way, I cleared the CMOS between every attemp to run it.

Any suggestions besides junking it?

Flame first = PCCHIPS is the sux0r!!!

Ok, now that I got that out of the way. It's my opinion you still have too many peripherals attached to your motherboard for proper troubleshooting. With your motherboard on the insulated board, attach only the power, processor, RAM, video and monitor. Attempt to boot. Do you get video output?

If yes, then put it all in the case, same setup, try again, good? then add things 1 at a time.

If you don't get video, disconnect the video and RAM and attempt to boot. Your motherboard should sound alarms from the lack of RAM on post. If it does not then I'd wager your motherboard is toast. If it does, try some different RAM, reattach the video and attempt boot. Still no go? Try a different video card.

One question PanicX please.

If the mobo is good and the processor is bad, will I still get alarms for the memory being missing? I did what you suggested and got the same result. Full speed fans and no beeps. I only ask because the mobo is new out of the box. What are the odds of getting a bad one?

My mobo is a couple of years old, but I had similar effects recently. First the fans would spin but nothing else. Could eventually boot if plugged into the mains overnight but PC in off state. Few weeks later problem reappeared but this time the start button wouldn't work.

I have eventually put this down to poor PSU. Athough its fairly new and 400W (Q-Tec dual fan gold) and the voltages appear fine, starting from cold it just doesn't provide the wattage (or so I presume). If I unplug fromn the mains....no start next morning without leaving it for half an hour with the power connected but PC off. If I leave the power to the PSU when the PC is off, no problems in restarting.

Maybe your problem could be PSU related??

jredlin@gopherr said:
One question PanicX please.

If the mobo is good and the processor is bad, will I still get alarms for the memory being missing?

If the mobo is good and the processor bad, the motherboard should still beep, infact it should beep because the processor is bad. You can verify this by checking your motherboard manual for error codes.

jredlin@gopherr said:
What are the odds of getting a bad one?
My bias against PCChips not withstanding, I beleive its far more likely to have a faulty motherboard, even DOA, then to have a processor suddenly stop working and 2 power supplies.

I'd also be suspicious of your PSU if it wasn't for the fact you've tested it and swapped it out with, what I assume is a known working model.

With that all taken into consideration, the only common element is the motherboard, hence my reasons for suspecting it.

If its brand new, I'd see about sending it back.

I'm going to send the mother board back and try a higher output power supply. The power supplies I've tried have both been 300 watts and I'm thinking that may be a problem. Also what Panic is saying about the motherboard is making some sense too. Thanks for the input everyone. I'll have an update soon.

Similar problem

I just built a computer that gets nothing on a boot. No Bios, no anything. I take the DDR memory out and I do get a beep. When the memory is in, no beeps and no video. I have nothing else attached (just monitor and memory).

-J

jc_kramer said:
I just built a computer that gets nothing on a boot. No Bios, no anything. I take the DDR memory out and I do get a beep. When the memory is in, no beeps and no video. I have nothing else attached (just monitor and memory).

-J

Sounds like old fashion memory incompatability. Try using only 1 stick of memory, and try it in different slots. If nothing, then you'll need to try another brand of memory.

Now I have another new mobo, a new Sempron processor, three different sticks of memory and a new power supply. I still get no boot. I've cleared the CMOS, tried running the thing with no perifs and all with the same result. I basically have a whole new system here and it won't boot. I'm about ready to throw this thing out the window. If it was mine I already would have. Any suggestions?

Just checking. Your motherboard has two power connections, the 20 pin main connector and a smaller square 2x2 4 pin connector. Is the smaller one connected?

mailpup said:
Just checking. Your motherboard has two power connections, the 20 pin main connector and a smaller square 2x2 4 pin connector. Is the smaller one connected?
I connected the 12v connection and fried a processor so I figured that one wasn't needed for this application. Are you thinking it should be connected? I thought maybe that was only for certain processors.

Yes, it should be connected. It's not an optional thing. I believe you have found the problem. If a previous cpu was fried, it was likely for some reason other than merely connecting that connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back