No video on bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

blim10

Ok so the other day i decide to take my old pc that hasnt been used in about 2 years out and install ubuntu on it. After installing it all is good and i can dual boot it with windows xp home no problem. Today i noticed that there is alot of dust collecting in behind the front bezel so i take it off to clean up the dust
in the process i remove the cables from my motherboard labelled power led, power sw, hdd led, and reset sw. After cleaning the dust up and putting the bezel on i put the cables back onto the same pins that they are supposed to be on as shown by the diagram on the motherboard. Now whenever I start the pc all the hardware such as the hard drive, optical drives, and fans start up but there is nothing on the monitor. Can someone help me with this?

My mb is an Intel 845e
Cpu: Intel Pentium 4 1.7ghz
256mb ram
ati radeon 7000 64mb agp

You'll need to replace your CMOS battery. also read the no post guide in the guides forum.
Reseat all your cards, and use a pencil eraser to slightly buff the oxides off on the contacts.

sorry i didnt know there was a guide on this already, I just had one last question could bent prongs on the end of the power cord that goes into the wall cause this too?

Try this with all the front panel leads disconnected. Start the PC by shorting out the front panel pins for the power switch. If it all works, you have probably got a connector wrong. What you describe is exactly what happens if you put one of the LED connections onto the reset button connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back