No way of installing operating system on notebook

By FlaminGArrow
Mar 11, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I'm officially out of ideas and I'm hoping you kind folk here could help me out. I have a Hp 2140 notebook whose hard disc I formatted while transfering data from it to my computer (so I could do a fresh OS). When I returned the hard disc into the notebook I found that I could not install Windows 7 by any medium. I tried plugging in an external DVD reader and installing windows 7 like I did the first time on this notebook, but it would not read from the device. BIOS recognises it only as USB LEGACY SUPPORT. When I tried installing windows 7 from an USB, like I did many times on my computer, the screen would freeze when I pressed any key to boot from USB. I tried changing USB ports for the devices I used, it did not help and I tried changing USB memory sticks from which I booted but alas no success. I don't know if there is a way of transfering the files from the dvd onto the hard disc, make it bootable somehow, and then install the OS on the hard drive (the same one). I also tried installing other OS using the same methods (Windows 8 and XP) but have had the same problems. P.S. I haven't tried preinstalling a system on the hard drive on another computer and then inserting the HD into the notebook, hoping it would boot. I tried that once on a comuter and have had no success. Please do help, cheers :)
  2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,327   +49

3. Benmar

Benmar Newcomer, in training Posts: 53

What are the message errors you encountered?
  4. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 968   +147

Have you tried installing windows OS under AHCI mode vs E-IDE mode?
    this setting is found on desktop mobo BIOSes and on the only laptop I owned (acer 1.7ghz core 2 duo)

these methods can be used to install windows OS (vista/7/8.x)
    1. bootable usb flash drive
    2. bootable DVD installer
    3. bootable CD formatting utility from hard disk drive manufacturer (I.e. Seagate discwizard for windows v16005840) to prepare/initialize/reformat a hard disk drive; afterwards, you can use your bootable cd/dvd OS installer.

edit:
    oops, original post on march 12, 2014 and no follow-up by asker.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.