TechSpot

no wireless network with fx5200

By bobaraba
Feb 22, 2005
  1. have a pentium 3 733 mhz pc with winxp networked to a pentium4 2.6ghz pc by wireless linksys setup. i put a nvidia fx 5200 video card in the pentium 3 pc and now it won't connect to the host pentium 4. the motherboard in the pentium3 is an intel(easton)d815eea. shouldn't this board take the fx 5200? when i take it out it hooks right up. am i doing something wrong or is this card and mobo non-compatib

2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

You say host PC. This implies that the other PC is acting as the server? Is there a router in this network? What does the network look like?
    I notice you also said it is wireless, wireless uses more power than wired, that 5200 also requires a bit more power than the card that it likely replaced in the system. This could be a power issue, as most wireless adapters have a means of limiting or shutting off their power if needed(though I've only seen this feature in notebook adapters)

If that is a PCI version of the 5200 and you are also using a PCI wireless adapter, you could have a resource conflict.

You really need to give more info so we can limit the possible causes.

3. bobaraba

bobaraba TS Rookie Topic Starter

wireless non connect

linksys router on main pc which i call the host. it is hardwired to cable broadband roadrunner. wireless linksys card in pc no. 2. the fx 5200 is agp. my old video card is a nvidia tntr2. ii moved the wireless card to another slot but that didn't help. you think it could be a power issue. is there that much difference between the video cards?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.