Noisy network solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCase

Hi,

I have a server that needs to be on 24/7 next to a bedroom and even with the door shut I am getting complaints of the loud noise. Im not too sure where it is coming from the computer is never even warm, dunno about hot its very cold and I am allways in the same room as the server and I can never hear it. I have been told to move it, which would be simple if I was on wireless but Im wired so I have come up with a solution but not very praticle.

Move the router and server downstairs then when I want to use my PC bring them all back up presto, but its a pain to do it like this.

Any suggestions please?

Sit it on a thick rubber mat (to stop any vibration)
Replace any noisy fans

Turn off the monitor (sometimes they give high pitch noises)

That's all I can think of

Oh, move out!

What does the server need to do ? If it's simply to serve files you could get an Ethernet HDD that would be on 24/7 without the noise of a complete system.

Are you deaf yourself? Just listen to the server and see which part makes the most noise. It is either the hard drive(s) or the fans.

What kind of a server is it? A true rack server? A true tower server? Some PC acting as a server?

There's not much you can do with the drives besides replacing them with the less noisy ones. As for fans, you can unplug some of them, set them at lower RPM or tell the server to slow down the CPU for the night.

You could put the server in a box or a cabinet, but you have to consider any heat issues.

It could be vibrating a wall? This often can make really annoying loud noises that you may not hear. Same thing happens with a subwoofer and plaster board walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back