TechSpot

Nokia 808 PureView smartphone unveiled with 41MP camera

By Shawn Knight
Feb 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Nokia has unveiled the 808 PureView smartphone featuring a 41-megapixel camera at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The handset runs Nokia’s dated Symbian operating system, a factor that could ultimately‚Ķ

Read the whole story

2. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

I'm so bummed that this didn't come with Windows Phone. Here's to hoping they put it on their next high-end WP device.

3. I would love to get one of these as soon as they come with Android. I hope they come out for Windows Phone 7 as well, because I like to wager on how long it takes to get infected.

4. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

41 mp, seriously, with a camera phone sized lens and what? CCD size sensor. Will have to read up on this phone but my first thought is "shame on you nokia".

5. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +49

I can't help but laugh to myself about this.

6. There is no shame in this. Trying new things is not a shame its a welcome. Even if this is a failure, this will lead to new topic and further development. Please don't discourage innovations, Its only because of those innovations, we are this far in science and technology advancement.

7. rvnwlfdroid

rvnwlfdroid TS Rookie Posts: 82   +6

Personally, I would rather see faster shutter speeds and more control, better optical zoom capabilities x8 or more. 40+ MP is all fine and dandy but if the hardware is not capable of taking a nice clean image what is a higher MP going to get you. IMO

8. Ihmemies

Ihmemies TS Rookie

For example "Gorilla Glass", the glass used in most high end smartphones these days was invented decades ago and it was a failure. Only in 2007 the value of the research was finally realized. It's too early to say anything definitive about Nokia's new technology yet.

9. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

megapixels are the cpu clock-rate equivalent of cameras. people drool over the number but for true quality and performance its a joke.

10. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 634   +60

That is the point of this. This isn't Nokia just throwing a bunch of megapixels at a phone. The pictures will be output at the regular 5MP or 8MP size. They use all those megapixels to allow you to zoom in on those 8MP pictures and still have a clear shot and to overall make the picture much clearer. Sure you have the option to shoot at 3x MP but that isn't the point. They want to reduce the noise of a normal camera phone picture. I'm not sure if this sorta downsampling will work but it's definitely a nice try and I don't knock nokia for trying new things. Also the lens is just about the biggest I've seen in a camera phone.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.