Nokia announces the PureView-packing Lumia 830, selfie-centric Lumia 730

Scorpus

Staff member

nokia pureview-packing lumia lumia windows phone pureview windows phone 8.1 lumia 830 lumia denim

At IFA 2014, Nokia has announced a couple of new handsets as part of their #MoreLumia press conference. The first, the Lumia 830, is being marketed as Nokia's affordable flagship, packing upper mid-range specs into a compact and typical Nokia design.

The camera is always a major point of interest in Nokia's smartphones, and the Lumia 830 is no exception. The rear sensor is branded as "PureView", packing ten megapixels, Zeiss optics, and even optical image stabilization. 

Other specifications include a Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 SoC (four 1.2 GHz ARM Cortex-A7 CPU cores plus an Adreno 305 GPU), 1 GB of RAM, 16 GB of internal storage, a 2,220 mAh battery and a microSD card slot. The LCD display Nokia has chosen is 5.0-inches in size and packs a resolution of 1280 x 720, which is an upgrade from the Lumia 820 but doesn't quite meet the Lumia 930's crispness.

The Lumia 830 will be available later this month for around €330 (~US$430) in Nokia's typical color choices: white, black, green and orange.

nokia pureview-packing lumia lumia windows phone pureview windows phone 8.1 lumia 830 lumia denim

The second group of handsets announced include the Lumia 730 and Lumia 735. Both devices are essentially identical - the Lumia 735 packs single-SIM LTE rather than dual-SIM HSPA+ - and come with hardware geared towards taking awesome selfies, namely a 5-megapixel wide-angle front facing camera.

Also included as part of the Lumia 730/735 package is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 SoC, 1 GB of RAM, 8 GB of internal storage, a microSD card slot, a 6.7-megapixel rear camera, a 2,220 mAh battery, and a 4.7-inch AMOLED display with a resolution of 1280 x 720.

Both the Lumia 730 and 735 will go on sale in the coming weeks, the former costing €199 (~US$260) and the latter €219 (~US$290).

Before Nokia announced their new selection of smartphones, they detailed their latest software update nicknamed Lumia Denim. As a special software package that comes alongside Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1, Denim includes numerous updates to the photography features of the OS.

Supported smartphones will finally have the ability to record in 4K when the Denim update hits their devices. Nokia Camera has been tweaked for faster boot-up times and snappier captures, and there's also automatic HDR selection with Rich Capture.

Denim will come pre-loaded on the Lumia 830, 735 and 730, and will also roll out to the Lumia 930, Icon and 1530 in Q4 2014.

Permalink to story.

If by "taking awesome selfies" you mean taking the worst selfies ever, then I would have to agree.

When will these stupid cell phone makers realize that wide angle front facing cameras are the worst thing to happen to selfies?! It warps your face and everything on the outside.

Whenever I take a picture with my S5, I look either like an alien or my body is that of a balloon. And trust me. I'm naturally skinny. SO SO stupid.

....[ ]...When will these stupid cell phone makers realize that wide angle front facing cameras are the worst thing to happen to selfies?! It warps your face and everything on the outside.....[ ].....
An undistorted full frame head shot requires at least a focal length 1.6X the sensor's diagonal measurement.

So what you really "need", are smaller sensors, and longer lenses. But then you'd have to also grow people with longer arms.

I'm kind of hoping that the selfie trend would die out. Really, who needs to see something like Dame Judi Dench without make up.

But, beings as, "on the 6th day God created man in his own image", I surmise that the unrepentant onslaught of horrifically bad self portraiture will continue, fester, and spawn.

Back