TechSpot

Nokia raises the bar with 41-megapixel Lumia 1020

By Shawn Knight
Jul 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Nokia’s latest flagship phone is now official as the Lumia 1020 was revealed at a press event in New York earlier today. The device is noteworthy as it is the first Windows Phone to carry the company’s 41-megapixel camera using...

Read more
  2. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

It won't matter.

Nokia has it right, but the WP team has to understand that form follows function, not the other way around.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,069   +704

Anyone who's read the camera section of a smartphone review on Anandtech knows that megapixels are not the defining factor in what makes a good camera. However, I really doubt Nokia made any huge tradeoffs (like terrible low light performance) in this camera as their Lumia 920 is a top-of-the-line smartphone camera.

But 41MP means you can zoom way way in on a picture after it's taken, and for that to look good the focus must be perfect. That means the responsiveness may not be so good doesn't it?

Then there's the issue of screen size... HTC put a 4 MP camera in their One phone because like 90% of smartphone pictures end up on facebook/instagram and on computer screens where the limit in resolution is your eyesight and the monitor, not the picture. A 41MP camera would be great for cropping and zooming, but for regular pictures it won't offer much of a benefit.

I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures this thing takes. For curiosities' sake though, I'm happy with my Android OS.
    drjekel_mrhyde likes this.
  4. roxxas2

roxxas2 TS Rookie Posts: 64   +20

What? What you're saying makes no sense. Are you saying that WP is limited or something?
  5. tw0rld

tw0rld TS Maniac Posts: 609   +6

Actually, the phone takes 34 -38 mega pixels photo but there is also a 5 mega pixels copy for sharing on social network. You will have better quality photos(5 MP) on your social networking site.
  6. tw0rld

It is limited but to be fair, Windows Phone 8 is a young OS, that will improve with time. The GDR2 update next month is a step towards that, then there is the GDR3 at the end of the year, also WP 8.1 coming early next year. Everything takes time, although WP 8 should not have some of the issues that it has now. I still find it to be a great OS for its state of maturity.
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,980   +1,487

Are we talking about phones with camera capabilities, or cameras with phone capabilities?
  8. roxxas2

And what "Limitations" and "issues" does it have?
  9. OortCloud

OortCloud TS Rookie Posts: 34

Crazy - Top of the line cameras with large light-gathering lenses and full-frame 35mm sensors are only just getting up to that resolution - on the tiny sensor in a camera on a phone with no view finder it seems a bit pointless - more of a gimmick to sell to people who don't look beyond the number. File sizes start to get so unwieldy too once you get that big - it better support some really big SD cards etc as its going to need them!
  10. tw0rld

No gimmick here are the photos to prove it:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/87544844@N00/sets/72157634597356196/
    Teko03 likes this.
  11. tw0rld

Calm down, I have a Lumia 720. I am not a Droid agent sent here to reek havoc. I find WP 8 very pleasing, but it lacks some functionalities that will be address in the upcoming GDR updates.

12. Joel F

Joel F TS Rookie

Completely worthless phone because of the OS. Would it really kill Nokia to run Android?
  13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,980   +1,487

Are you suggesting there are not enough Android phones to choose from?
    drjekel_mrhyde likes this.
  14. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,468   +622

Whoa, since when do phones have optical stabilisation?! I'm impressed!

But I'm also let down by the terrible form-factor of this phone - those bezels are ridiculous as always.
  15. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Yes. Do you know what 'form follows function' means? Look it up.

I'm putting the blame on the Windows Phone team, not the OS itself. It has a powerful kernel, but the things they add and at the rate they add them leaves a lot to be desired. Which is sad, because their developing tools are really good.

WP is rushed product that ironically arrived late to market. It's beautiful, but feature-poor. It's personal but not that powerful.

WP launched and without basic smartphone features such as ringtone support. It took them over a year to add copy/paste support. And to this very day, the OS' clipboard is erased after you lock the phone. I should know because I own a 920, and I've had WP since the LG Quantum.

Here's a rhetorical question for you: Is there a finish line in catch-up race?
  16. Joel F

Joel F TS Rookie

With 41 mega pixel cameras? YES. Kinda I am.
  17. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Booster Posts: 577   +98

Concerned only about 32GB - that's only a couple of hundred pics at max settings - you can run out of memory fast - there better be a way to add external memory
  18. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,468   +622

I'm under the impression that the picture is only 5MP. Works in the same way as HTC One camera. Therefore 32GB isn't a problem.
  19. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,953   +900

Nice phone. I think the $300 price tag will scare away some people though.
  20. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,034   +738

The phones not for everyone. It's targeted at snap happy people much the same way rugged waterproof phones are targeted toward the outdoors type. It's a camera that can also do duty as a phone. Journo's would find value in something like this. That said, some people will buy this phone just to brag about the camera.
  21. OortCloud

OortCloud TS Rookie Posts: 34

I'm not arguing that its a good camera (for a phone) - I expect it is - most recent Nokia Phones have good cameras, but it still isn't a camera that can really make use of a 41mp sensor - the sensor is far too small as is the lens for that to really be of any benefit - but it sounds good!
  22. Yes it would, as much as it is killing HTC right now.
  23. roxxas2

How is WP worthless? I have a Lumina 920 and it does everything I need it to.
  24. Teko03

Teko03 TS Enthusiast Posts: 121   +27

Correct, the Lumia 1020 is capable of producing 5MP, similar to HTC's UltraPixel Technology (large sensor & wide aperture for more light; similar to the way a full frame DSLR would work with a prime lens) --- but better IMO, not to mention this thing featrues Zeiss glass and the ability to shoot at larger MP with insane detail (for a camera phone) even when cropped.I wish HTC had given the One the ability to shoot at at least 8MP for more -- I'd be okay with the option to increase file size & deal with a slight shutter lag.
  25. swapnil sood

swapnil sood TS Rookie

Good for people who are confused whether to buy camera or smart phone

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.