Nokia X, X+ and XL launched at MWC, all running forked Android

Scorpus

Staff member

Yes, Nokia has launched a series of Android devices at MWC 2014, as expected from numerous leaks in the lead up to today's press conference. The low-cost devices are running a forked version of Android laden with Microsoft services, as well as the 'Fastlane' user interface seen on Nokia's Asha line.

The first of the devices are the Nokia X and Nokia X+: both feature 4.0-inch WVGA displays, while the X+ will be slightly beefed up. Internally we're looking at a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 SoC with a 1.0 GHz dual-core CPU, a 1,500 mAh battery, dual-SIM support, as well as a 3-megapixel fixed-focus camera and a microSD card slot. The X has 512 MB of RAM and 4 GB of storage, while the X+ comes with 768 MB of RAM.

The XL is a larger variant of the X, featuring a 5.0-inch WVGA IPS display, a 2-megapixel front-facing camera and 5-megapixel rear camera with autofocus. Internal hardware in the Nokia XL is the same as the X+, but the battery has been upgraded to 2,000 mAh. All handsets in the series look like a combination of Lumia and Asha devices, with colorful backs and a single front button. 

All devices will have access to Nokia's Android app store, as well as the Yandex app store that will suggest apps Nokia's store doesn't have. Sideloading APK files will be supported, although some apps may not function correctly due to the lack of Google Mobile Services in the forked OS running on the phones.

The Nokia X will be available "immediately" for €89 (~$120), while Q2 will see the launch of the the Nokia X+ for €99 (~$135) and Nokia XL for €109 (~$150).

Permalink to story.

Well this sounds like it will suck.

I'm not sure if there are better handsets at that price point since I don't have access to 'muricas market but... android running on a dual 1 ghz proc at 512 mb is slow and stuttering and as much as I hate the idea of no google services, those will be on custom roms all around so no biggie (I hope for their sake).

Still... sounds pretty sucky.

I like the 120$ price tag, converted locally to about 6000php at 1$=50 Philippine pesos.
the main drawback is the OS.
the local competition (Samsung, cherry mobile) already offers many models running android 4.xx OS at the 100-120$ price in the Philippines.
the new nokia models running this consumer-untested forked android OS is a large gamble and IMHO, nokia should also release fully unlocked android 4.xx models.

as I see it (and I don't even pretend to know anything about its deal with Microsoft), nokia is now a subsidiary of Microsoft corporation.
so, is the nokia move legal or ethical?
also, is this microsoft's way of saying "if we can't defeat them, we should join them!" ?

They should watch out for the Moto G. In the US the G can be gotten for as little as $99 on Verizon. Not sure exactly how the X+ and XL stack against the G in specs but I'm thinking the Moto G has the advantage. That and stock Android.

LOL, a Metro-fied Android w/o Google services vs. stock Android devices with same specs and same or cheaper price?? Oh, Microkia..

A bold move, perhaps showing direction to other Android OEMs, provided if they want to solidify their profitability in the longer run. Amazon has done it successfully, so who can be the next? Can it be Samsung? Or will they continue to do the donkey work for Google .......

I still think these were started before the buyout from Microsoft was official, instead of wasting all that time and money and throwing the project out I think they came to this compromise. They were still gonna be android but they were gonna be very Microsoft based, honestly I don't get the point of them, and I honestly don't think nokia will release them in the USA or Western Europe, were Nokia already has budget windows phones at the same price point and with similar features.

Back