Nokia's Android phone reportedly still in development, pictured in leaked image

By Scorpus
Dec 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. As it turns out, Nokia hasn't been quite comitted to the Windows Phone cause. New information from The Verge has revealed that the company has been working on an Android handset, codenamed 'Normandy' (among other internal names) for quite some...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,140   +739

This could be a good thing for Nokia. I have faith.
  3. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 853   +84

I hope the Android phones don't look like this. Looks just like their Windows phones.
  4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,994   +67

Considering MS's acquisition, I don't think even it get launched there will be much joy in buying this thing. Strategically, MS wouldn't want anything to do with this, since WP is picking up market share in emerging markets at price points even Moto G (I still have questions about its 'perceived' performance, since even on quadcore SoCs android isn't the best of the lot when it comes to resource management) can't compete with.
  5. hitech0101

hitech0101 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 423   +19

Why couldn't have they done this a few years back ?
    psycros likes this.
  6. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 616   +185

Because they were living in a the same sort of bubble as Blackberry. And then they hired a Microsoft mole as CEO.
  7. hitech0101

I don't know how it would have turned out if they had come up with years back because now its between apple & samsung with them catching up with windows phones.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,246   +529

Because every man and his dog were squabbling to produce Android devices back then, also they were trying to produce their own range of smartphones using the Symbian and S40 OS which were as popular as a ham sandwich in Jerusalem. Rather late than never but somehow I don't think MS will take this lying down.
  9. hitech0101

Still they could at least have released one android model not two just one to see how it goes.

Also don't know why they came up this now, I also believe MS won't allow this.
  10. drjekel_mrhyde

drjekel_mrhyde Newcomer, in training Posts: 69

It's Asha not Android
  11. Archean

Since its a very low end device (which means it will suck any way), so as some sites are reporting, this project may be a ploy from Nokia to force MS in to a position to buy its feature phone/low end volume business as well, despite its not fitting with MS's long term plans.
  12. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Addict Posts: 774   +155

So MS forces nokia to use windows only as they know it will fail as they know their windows phone OS is terribad and that android is miles better so they show its bad so nokia gets into financial trouble THEN they buy nokia... smart plan MS... smart plan...
  13. I beg to differ. Been using my Lumia 920 for over a year now and couldn't be happier. Managed to get a number of other people to give it a try and they love it now, but had no idea what it was about before. Most of them based their decisions on what other people were saying about it and what they read like negative comments like yours without ever giving it a try. That's the problem with most people, they really on the bad advice of others without taking the plunge themselves, who knows you may be as pleasantly surprised as the people I got to use it. Oh, and before you make mention of the lack of apps, which is a complete fallacy by the way as there are plenty of excellent alternatives, plenty of these people are app crazy, and they have found dozens of the apps they needed...

14. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Addict Posts: 774   +155

15. Archean

@Guest #13Couldn't disagree there. I have used/tried every android flagship over the years, and none offers a 'satisfactory level of performance consistently', and I am not going to talk about stupid skinnings / security and stability issues. My advice now, for anyone who want a rock-solid platform with consistent performance, good stability & security is always choose either an iOS device or a WP device.
  16. hitech0101

I beg to differ I have seen Windows phones I would pick android over windows I feel android suits phones just fine and I haven't had issues with security and stability but that could be because I haven't installed whole lot of apps but still I like android over windows.
  17. Archean

I never contest its suitability about phones (after all its nearly copycat UI of iOS ensures it will meet that requirement).

Generally, I use set number of apps (e.g. Carbon for Twitter, FX, Oulook Mail Client, Sky Drive, Drop Box, FoxIt, Polaris Office, FireFox, DirectOffice Print & Flipboard etc.).

For entertainment I have two games (out of which I usually only play Snooker ;p).

So you see there isn't much apps there to bring down to its knees. Anyway, my experience is very bad over the years, recently I was forced to ditch my S3, and since I got a pretty good deal for GT-i9505 I preferred it over iPhone, I was hoping it may bring a better experience. At least when it works, the performance is very decent, but one issue which I always encountered with android phones (apart from others) has been mysterious reboots at its own, and this one isn't exception, I haven't had the chance to dig logs for what caused it, but will look into it whenever I have little spare time.

On the other hand, my Lumia 920 never needed a reboot (except for when GDR2/Amber was installed), and it has many more applications, no slow downs or crashes ....... same is true for the Lumia 620 of my wife, and iPhone 4S I have at home.

To sum it up, android experience on S line is far better with custom ROMs, but I am sort of tired of going to that route again, I believe if I am buying something it should work right of the box to my satisfaction, with out me having to go through the hassle to fix it.
  18. hitech0101

Yup android phones do mysteriously reboot I have seen that and heard from friends but mine has not atleast uptil now and I would switch to windows but still waiting to see a large variety of handsets like android has but would would be happy with a nokia lumia anyday.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.