Nokia's first post-Microsoft device is the Android-powered N1 tablet

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nokia’s first device since selling its mobile division to Microsoft earlier this year isn’t the set-top box that many (myself included) expected but rather a small Android tablet that’s perhaps best described as an iPad mini clone.

The Nokia N1 features a 7.9-inch laminated display carrying a resolution of 2,048 x 1,536 mounted inside a chassis constructed from a single sheet of aluminum. Around back, the N1’s camera is placed in the same area as the iPad mini while the bottom edge of the device looks almost identical to an iPad in terms of speaker grills and connector placement.

nokia microsoft ipad android

The connector that Nokia is using is actually a reversible Type-C USB connector, one of the first implementations of the new technology.

The N1 is powered by a quad-core Intel Atom Z3580 clocked at 2.3GHz alongside 2GB of RAM. The aforementioned rear camera shoots stills at up to 8-megapixels while the front-facing camera is capable of capturing 5-megapixel photos. Internal storage is set at 32GB with no option for more or less but there is a memory card reader should you need more space.

Nokia’s latest will ship with Android 5.0 Lollipop and Nokia Z Launcher.

While Apple may be perturbed, they probably weren’t knocking on their lawyers’ doors early this morning over the matter. I say that because it’s pretty obvious that Apple is getting away from the small tablet market.

The Nokia N1, built in collaboration with Foxconn, will go on sale for $249.99 in China in February and roll out to Russia and select European nations after that. No word yet on whether or not Nokia plans to bring the N1 to the US.

Permalink to story.

Is it just me or is this the second Nokia microsoft release that dosent have any plans for a North America launch? Kinda odd for an US based company

"Nokia, Thinking Ahead". An amusing slogan for a company that failed to keep pace with the latest developments then were forced to sell out.

Is it just me or is this the second Nokia microsoft release that dosent have any plans for a North America launch? Kinda odd for an US based company

I invite you to read, this has nothing to do with Microsoft, it's not even Nokia, they just lended the name to another company (According to other tech site).

I invite you to read, this has nothing to do with Microsoft, it's not even Nokia, they just lended the name to another company (According to other tech site).

Really. I did. so why isint this mentioned here? your talking about post microsoft buy hence nokia is now microsoft. plus the lumia 535 https://www.techspot.com/news/58782-lumia-535-first-microsoft-branded-windows-phone.html is the other release I was refering to

Really. I did. so why isint this mentioned here? your talking about post microsoft buy hence nokia is now microsoft. plus the lumia 535 [link] is the other release I was refering to
Um... OK, lets take this slowly from the top. Microsoft bought Nokia's MOBILE DEVICES division. (as per article "Nokia’s first device since selling its mobile division to Microsoft") Nokia as a company still exists separately from Microsoft, which is another company in case you were wondering. Nokia still has other divisions and as such is still in business and turning a profit since the sale. The fact they released this tablet means that Nokia is only locked out of the smartphone market until 2016/17 as per the purchase agreement. Now that we have sorted that out...

I reckon if Nokia plays its cards right and releases at the right time with a big enough device and release a new smartphone after having been out of the market for about 2 or 3 years, people may just have enough of a nostalgic feeling from Nokia's glory days to give the device a go. Their exit and re-entry into the market after a time may actually be what pushes them back into the game, maybe not to the top where they were before, but certainly a better position they were in before. Not that Microsoft's OS was bad, but people were too entrenched and enamoured in what their friends had or what the majority of the media's propaganda was churning out to try out an unknown OS, no matter how good it was.
Being an Intel based tablet I think I may have actually preferred this to run Windows. It may not have massive specs for most heavy duty windows applications, but I reckon the productivity suites may have run quite nicely on this, and maybe a few other things too.

Really. I did. so why isint this mentioned here? your talking about post microsoft buy hence nokia is now microsoft. plus the lumia 535 https://www.techspot.com/news/58782-lumia-535-first-microsoft-branded-windows-phone.html is the other release I was refering to

And I'll quote the first paragraph.

Nokia’s first device since selling its mobile division to Microsoft earlier this year isn’t the set-top box that many (myself included) expected but rather a small Android tablet that’s perhaps best described as an iPad mini clone.

I can't understand this move from Nokia..

Tablets (especially the smaller screen size) are not making the money they were when they first came out. I just don't get it. 1. No one wants to buy small tablets anymore. 2. If they did, why go after Nokia instead of a known brand with experience and success?

Don't get me wrong, I love Nokia products, but it just doesn't make sense.

Back