Nokia's 'Treasure Tag' will keep tabs on your valuables starting in April

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nokia’s long-rumored Treasure Tag smartphone accessory is scheduled to arrive in April. The $30 gadget is designed to connect to your car keys, purse, backpack or any other valuable that you wish to track via a combination of Bluetooth and NFC. Here’s how it works.

To pair, simply connect using NFC or search for it with Bluetooth on your Lumia smartphone. Once paired, users will be prompted to download the Tag app. From here, attach it to something you wish to keep track of.

For example, let’s say you’ve attached the tag to your backpack. Perhaps you’re late for class one morning and rush out without grabbing your bag. Your Lumia phone will emit a loud tone to alert you that you’ve forgot the bag. Conversely, if you leave your phone behind and rush out with just the backpack, the tag will also produce a similar tone so you know to go back and grab your handset.

Should you leave your bag at home on purpose (say, during the weekend), a simple long press will deactivate the tag. Alternately, you can mute the alarm on the phone or put it into sleep mode within the tag app.

The accessory, available in cyan, yellow, white and black, measures just 30 x 30 x 10mm (about the size of a match box) and weighs 13g. We’re told the tag’s internal battery will last around six months and fortunately, it can be replaced once it goes dead. Up to four different tags can be connected to a single phone at any given time, Nokia says.

Nokia Treasure Tags will initially only be compatible with Lumia phones but there will be third-party apps for tag support in Android and iOS.

Permalink to story.

It's too big to attach to a wallet... for anything else the price tag doesnt justify it.

A nice item for the absent minded or kids but to anyone who has some semblance of order in their lives, superfluous, well to me at least.

I could see this being good for people who may might forget things but it could also be used on days for things where you have to present something for your office. Some people spend time focusing their efforts on preparing for something like a presentation that they may forget a big part which is where I could see some use for this to those people.

Otherwise, its just another random gadget.

I can see a problem in a second, I have a Tag to my keys and on my backpack. I come home, leave my keys at the front door on a small hook and leave my backpack there also, dont need it and want to make sure I will pick it up the next morning. Good so far. Then I go outside in my back yard to have a beer (its summer and the sun is shinning) bam my phone start buzzing because I am too far from my keys and backpack, so I turn off the tag, oups out of beer, so I want to go buy more, get to my car and realize my keys are inside (tag was off). This is just one example.

Just give me a cheap paging device for my lost items like wallet, phones, remotes. A small wireless device no bigger than a quarter with a micro speaker to beep. Less than 10 bucks. Thats all we need!

I believe this works as a notification system for when two devices become separated, not as a GPS locator solution.
Okay I see It works with Here maps. I guess you would have to be one to take the tool/s to their house and then forget

Back