None of my devices can detect any external HDD

I have around 10 external HDDs, some I use for Wii games, some for PS3 games. They are not originally external, usually taken out from PC or Laptop. Various producers (WD, Seagate...) This morning I played GTA V using one of them. I use cables for SATA/ATA HDD (adapter and the USB cable) I bought new ones few days ago so I don't think connection is problem. Besides you can hear them spinning and PC pops up message about a usb malfunctioning and in Driver Manager it shows Unkown device until I unplug it. Problem started when PS3 couldn't load HDD. It shows USB icon like it's trying to load but it's gone and it doesn't load any files. I tried other HDDs (that haven't been ever plugged in laptop or PS3) using my main PC with windows xp SP3 and Norton Antivirus 2014. It doesn't load at all. Disk management also doesn't load. All devices load USB sticks without problem. But suddenly none of these HDDs can be detected (even in Seatools) and I don't see a connection between these HDDs, like how did they all out of sudden start behaving like this.

You might want to have a look at this program;
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html
On that site, scroll down to the 9th black heading; Drivecleanup.zip
It runs as a DOS command, I use this once every few weeks to clear out the USB history, which might be why your PC is having trouble connecting to all your external HDDs. I have used this for years, very useful.

Hi there,

I don't know if you are using the same cables when testing, but for me it's worth trying with the old cables if they were working properly, or with any other cables. What you're describing is exactly how HDDs behave if they are not getting enough power. And don't forget to keep us posted on the outcome.

If you hear the hard drive spinning with LED on but it does not 'show up' on screen, plug in the second USB plug if you have it.
My Iomega 320GB has a double USB plug and it does exactly the same thing.
If you are plugging into a front USB port, try one on the back of the PC, as it will be on the motherboard there may be more current available to power the hard drive.

Back