Not open for further replies.

franklinz

just built my first computer.
Soyo px4 dragon ultra mobo
P4 2.4ghz
Radeon 9700
512 mb pc2100
sounblaster audigy gamer
Now the problem is when playing medal of honor it gets extremely choppy, i turn down everything in the game and it doesnt change much. Turned down the effects on the 9700 and still nothing.
Weird thing is when i check the "Easy Info" under requirements it says i pass everything except Cpu speed. It says -1892????
Also under the systems tab in the easy info it says i have 512mb but only 274 free??
Last but certainly not least under the display tab its says that i have 1mb of video memory under display 1. And 128 under display 2???
The only thing that im running thats integrated on the board is the lan card and the usb ports??
please help,
franklinz

Also under the systems tab in the easy info it says i have 512mb but only 274 free??
Sounds about right for a Windows XP system... So don't worry about this.

Cpu speed. It says -1892????
I think you forgot to set your FSB speed. At default, it probably runs at DDR 1600 speeds (100/200MHz), but you have DDR 2100 which should run (133/266MHz). Coincientally, this would probably make your processor run at about the speed you mentioned, so I'm pretty sure this is the problem.

Go into the BIOS and change the FSB from 100/200Mhz to 133/266MHz and your CPU should be the correct speed.

Last but certainly not least under the display tab its says that i have 1mb of video memory under display 1. And 128 under display 2???
I would recommend installing the latest catalyst drivers from ATI's website. www.ati.com If you are using the default Windows drivers, then this would explain many things.

If you are using the drivers I suggested, then you probably have something wrong with your settings. I'm not faimliar with the two display ssetup though, so wait for someone else to respond.

Originally posted by conradguerrero
You should also check that you have the current BIOS for your motherboard.

That's a possibility. If your motherboard is already maxed out and does not support 2.4Ghz, then a quick BIOS flashing should fix your problems.

I don't recommend updating your BIOS unless absolutely necessary... Many people have had unfortunate problems due to flashing.

Whew... lotsa stuff to do today! In the bios it says 133 so should i just put in 266?? I installed the newer version of the catalyst software but still nothing. Board supports up to 2.4ghz.. ugggg. So do you guys honestly think i should flash my bios??
And how does just downloadig the upgrade for my bios work??
On soyousa.com they show 3.
thanks,
franklinz

The fsb value shown is the non Double Data Rate one (133) which is correct. The fsb value is always show as its non DDR value. If you put 266 then the effective DDR is 532Mhz which I don't think will boot ;)

Is there any information with the 3 bios files that they list?
Like what the updated bios' add?

Check what bios version you have, this should show when the machine displays its post information (Award, Amibios, American Megatrends etc..). It should be similar to the names of the BIOS files listed on the site. You should then be able to check that the BIOS currently on the board supports you CPU without problem.

Originally posted by franklinz
Weird thing is when i check the "Easy Info" under requirements it says i pass everything except Cpu speed. It says -1892????
Check the CPU speed elsewhere first before you upgrade. Run msinfo32, for example, that should show your CPU speed too.

Sometimes (especially newer boards) have a memory frequency that is independant of CPU frequency. It is possible that you have your memory set to 133Mhz, but not your CPU.

If you find any "frequency" setting set to 100Mhz, then you should look to see if it has anything to do with the CPU and change it to 133MHz.

You might want to check the CPU speed through msinfo as Mic suggested. Either go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information or Start>RUN then type msinfo32

I'm doubtful that your choppy performance is result of the slower clock speed, if it is in fact that slow. 1892 MHz isn't exactly slow. You might want to look into background services and any third party software you have running. You may have something dragging the system down during the game causing the choppy performance. I would still check the CPU speed and get that issue sorted out first though.

I won't go into a speech about BIOS flashing, but I will stress that UNLESS you NEED to upgrade the BIOS to correct the problem, I'd suggest you not do it. It can create new problems and you may still have the same ones as well. Flashing the BIOS should only be done when the upgrade addresses the problem, such as adding support for hardware or correcting compatibility issues.

Originally posted by StormBringer
Flashing the BIOS should only be done when the upgrade addresses the problem, such as adding support for hardware or correcting compatibility issues.

.. And only when the area you live doesn't suffer from frequent power outages! Zzzzzzt! :eek: :blackeye: :dead:

That is a good point Rick. It can ruin your whole day if you are in the middle of flashing the BOIS and suddenly the power goes out. :dead:

Still nada. Freed up my system to 94% pracically took everything off except the basics. Downloaded the new catalyst. Still holding out on the bios.
Under the performance tab it shows that my processor is
"x 86 family 15 model 2 stepping 7" by the way im still running 98.
Still says the same thing under the Info Tab, but now instead of -1892 it says -1901. Doesnt meet the requirement of Pentium 2 466mhz!!! How can I be in the negatives!!!!!
Now for the real weird stuff, under the "Autoselect Settings" it shows i got 512mb (instead of 511mb with 1mb for video under the Info Tab) and my processor shows 2395mhz and 64 under the "Video Memory Range" WTF!!
Could this be the game?? Is their any safe software to download to check my performance??
thanks,
franklinz
If someone has the 9700 could you explain why under the Info Tab in the ea program says my 1st display (radeon 9700) has 1mb for video, but under display 2 (radeon 9700 secondary) it shows the full 128mb????
please please help!!

Originally posted by franklinz
Still says the same thing under the Info Tab, but now instead of -1892 it says -1901. Doesnt meet the requirement of Pentium 2 466mhz!!! How can I be in the negatives!!!!!
It's not a negative sign, it's "about", ie. "~"
Your CPU speed does indicate that the FSB is 100 MHz, not 133. With 2.4 GHz CPU , the clock multiplier should be 18 if I'm not mistaken. If you're running @ 105 MHz FSB, the CPU speed is 1900.
Now for the real weird stuff, under the "Autoselect Settings" it shows i got 512mb (instead of 511mb with 1mb for video under the Info Tab) and my processor shows 2395mhz and 64 under the "Video Memory Range" WTF!!
Isn't that correct?
Is their any safe software to download to check my performance??
SiSoft Sandra is quite common.

If your motherboard has an integrated video card built in, then this could be a likely explanation. If you don't know for sure, look to see if there is a VGA socket (just like if you had a video card) in the back of the computer, other than you video card.

The Soyo P4X400 Dragon Ultra has a VIA chipset. Did you load the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers? If not, do so immediately! These can greately increase AGP performance and general stability.
Did you disable the onboard sound? This might be causing problems with your Audigy. Audio problems can cause stuttering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back