Noobie newbuild

Jun 23, 2007
  1. Hoping somebody can help me.

I am a relative noobie, in that I've only had a PC for 6 months.

CPU in my PC is a Celeron D, so due to obvious reasons I need to upgrade.

I play a lot of strategy games like C&C3, AOE3 e.t.c and also have multiple apps running at same time and have a budget of £600-£800, I have Keyboard,mouse, monitor so only need base.

I have done a bit of research, all seems fairly confusing but below is what I have come up with so far. All comes from OCUK but with a bit of searching could get price down a bit. Also looking for summat that'll last bout 3 years.

If you could have a butchers and and advise whats wrong I would be uber grateful

DVD R/W:

1 last thing, in my current PC i have a GEFORCE 6600LE GPU, would is be possible to SLI with another 6600LE in the above MOBO as this might save a bit more money.

Again any help appreciated
  2. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 822

I would change the video card to this: Also the memory you choose will not work with that motherboard because the memory is DDR2 while the motherboards only excepts DDR3.

You should be able to SLi another 6600 LE if the motherboard you have is an SLi board. But the performance gain would be tiny compared to a new computer.

ADELBURN TS Rookie Topic Starter

Cheers Mr Jerky,

I have changed the MOBO, as this supports DDR2 and DDR3 to the one below.

Changed RAM to below, I have checked the spec of the MOBO and it does support this RAM.

And I've changed the Video card to what you've suggested.

I have added this heatsink

and finally as i already have vista would I need anything else before attempting to destroy £700 worth of components with my noobish building.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.