Normal RAM usage with WinXP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what the normal RAM usage for WinXP is? I have 155mb free out of my 256ram, is this right? Because I was getting about 192mb free out of 256ram with Windows 2000. Thanks in advance!

That sounds about right, I'm using a little over 250MB out of 1536MB (1281MB free) right now, though if I shut down my third party utilities that run in the background I can get that usage down to around 130MB. If you want to reduce that number you can disable some services that you don't use and can turn off some of the eyecandy.

memory.jpg

You forget though, SN, that your pic is not representative of all the memory your system has in use. Add that all up and compare it to the memory used under the performance tab and it probably won't match.

LNCPapa

Right now mine says 218 but under performance it shows 243, it also says I'm using 210 MB of my pagefile. Norton on the other hand says I'm using 220 MB of physical memory and 21MB Pagefile. Hmmm, never noticed the inconsistancy before. I seem to want to believe Norton's numbers more than the ones reported by the Task Manager though. Task Manager also says I'm using 2% CPU but Norton says 19%. Again I tend to believe Norton because I am running Winamp and a visual Plugin and I am sure that would be signifigantly more than 2%

Originally posted by LNCPapa
You forget though, SN, that your pic is not representative of all the memory your system has in use. Add that all up and compare it to the memory used under the performance tab and it probably won't match.

LNCPapa
I changed picture papa, but you are probably right about adding those up and it won't match up under performance. But Commit Charge and Pagefile are the same size every time I've looked on mine, and that first pic I had up had the commit charge in the bottom right of the pic. Maybe you were referring to something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back