North Korea's Internet connection goes cold just days after President Obama promised a response

By Shawn Knight
Dec 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Just days after the United States pointed the finger at North Korea for the Sony Pictures hack, the country's connection to the Internet has gone cold.

Read more
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

All brought to you by a group of irresponsible people. DDoS does nothing to strengthen the credibility of anyone's cause, not as an attack or as retaliation. It only proves we like playing games with each other. And the games will continue under these non-preventative measures.
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,380   +2,167

When a punk kid walks up to you and socks you in the jaw, you look him back in the eye and proceed to knock him the **** out. If you respond by kindly asking the punk what his problem is, attempt to reason with the bastard or threaten to call his mommy, you, in that very instant, become his *****.

When leading world powers are seen by punk nations as weak/unwilling to retaliate, the consequences are generally far worse than the fallout consequent of asserting one's own dominance.
    SantistaUSA likes this.
  4. So we already do have the kill switch. :)

Wonder how fast this can escalate into a nuclear war...over a movie. :(
  5. Jamesbrah

Jamesbrah TS Enthusiast Posts: 59   +11

Just the type of meathead 'murica' response I expected. As usual, violence is the key..
    spectrenad likes this.
  6. davislane1

An alleged network attack is violence? For an enlightened thinker, you sure seem to have difficulty grasping the finer points of metaphor.
  7. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,837   +884

We cannot let our country be run by foreign dictators. I rarely believe the "we need to defend our freedoms" propaganda, but this is one valid case. Movie theaters are afraid to show it, streaming sites are afraid to host it and many people's identity are at risk because of these leaks. It may be a timid response, but it's really the only thing we can do aside from invading them.

Our way of life is at risk because some punk kid wants to play dictator. I'm all for his elimination. Hell, he wants to see the US dead, I say we kill him.
  8. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Guru Posts: 490   +16

Without rejecting your assertion(I'm not), why exactly is this playing a game? Assuming this was done by the US, could this be the beginning of a proportional response? And if not is there something in particular you were hoping for?
  9. davislane1

This is North Korea we're talking about. The only way of life they would be threatening by legitimately threatening the American system is their own. Unless China honestly has their back on an offensive campaign of some sort (cyber or otherwise), Kim Jong-Un is about as high a priority as the leader of the local Hell's Angels club.

They hacked a corporation and, evidently, received a disproportionate cyber response. This squares the equation.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    TomSEA likes this.
  10. drjekelmrhyde

drjekelmrhyde TS Booster Posts: 188   +43

But I was expecting us to spend a trillion dollars fighting these guys.
  11. davislane1

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that North Korea possesses something of commercial value.
    SantistaUSA likes this.
  12. cliffordcooley

Thank you because that is exactly how I see this topic. Until the threats become a reality, that is all this is "you're my *****" game.

Firstly I see the threats on our theaters as empty threats. Secondly threats is what makes this all so childish. Thirdly if the threats do become a reality, I'd wipe North Korea off the map. I get so tired of all these political games year after year.
  13. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Addict Posts: 439   +84

I think the U.S can even do far worse. They have already shown that they can gain access to micro controllers.
  14. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,937   +157

VGA, what a nob
  15. FocusOnWildlife

FocusOnWildlife TS Rookie

I think you are all over thinking this. Using Occom's razor I'd deduce one of the following causes for the outage:

1) North Korea is past due on it's internet bill so the ISP has suspended their privileges.
    2) North Korea's ISP is Time Warner Cable.
    Phr3d, ThanosPAS and davislane1 like this.
  16. davislane1

I present to you possibility 3: South Korea turned off guest access to the one WiFi router operating near the DMZ.
    gingerbill, FocusOnWildlife and trgz like this.
  17. No internet, no internet tax.
  18. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

VGA : State of the art in the DPRK

The bigger issue might be Kim allowing productivity to fall at the expense of showing his expertise in navigating the Brazzer's website.
  19. Bubbajim

Bubbajim TS Addict Posts: 135   +50

Erm, life on this planet still exists, post- Cold War. I think your statement is just a tad flawed and outdated!
  20. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,428   +472

Erm, take a look and read the news, this is how it's being currently played EVERYWHERE, russia, ukraine, israel, iran, etc etc etc. I think your statement is just a tad flawed and outplayed!

Also, to all speculations, there is no proof USG did anything, that could've been a hackers attack against opression and for freedom of speech, there are huge activists out there.
    davislane1 likes this.
  21. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,379

Violence is a beautiful thing :)

Also, I think if it were G.W. Bush on the picture, the monitor would have been turned back forward.
  22. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Sleeper country, only stands out when there is something about them! SONY vs North Korea! So this is in the news!
  23. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Addict Posts: 331   +99

Who ever the douche canoes are that are hacking are playing both ends of the field and all these mental giants are falling for it..
  24. This picture is fake, the great leader has binoculars in his hands.
  25. cliffordcooley

The picture may not have anything to do with the article topic anyway. Besides what difference does it make, and how would you know which is genuine?