Norton 2007 blocking VPN access.

By eric21120
Jan 20, 2007
  1. One of the user in my company told me that whenever, he tries to connecto to VPN, he can not do. After disabling Norton, he was able to connect to VPN. Is there any way, to configure Norton 2007, so that it will be running and also allowing him VPN access..
  2. tomrca

tomrca TS Rookie Posts: 1,000

i am sure that someone will be able to help you, but my personal view would be dump norton and all its services. LOOK HERE
  3. eric21120

eric21120 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Our company is also planning to move to Symantec from CA. would it be a good idea choosing Symantec leaving CA. As Symantec and Norton are same brand.
  4. tomrca

tomrca TS Rookie Posts: 1,000

eric21120, there are far better than norton/symantec. the company that you may work for, will be getting a far better deal than you. because they are commercial, and most likely paying more. they will get far better service and support. for the little home pc their support is poor!!!
    i think companies like symantec put money into companies that produce pc's, and in return get to put their rubbish onto new pc's as a franchise of some sort.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,145   +597

VPN technology requires IGMP to be allowed and specific ports to be open as documented
    by your IT Support group.

The specific firewall should be irrelevant, as long as IGMP can flow thru.
  6. eric21120

eric21120 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you tom.

Jobeard, are you meaning ICMP. the VPN connection is configured through Firebox watchgurad firewall. The person has windows Xp. How can he configure his laptop so that he would have access to VPN, and able to use Norton 2007
  7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,145   +597

oops; it is actually IP protocol GRE :) Comodo comes preconfigure for it.
    ICMP is just ECHO and is the foundation for TRACERT.
  8. blueness

blueness TS Rookie

I've had good luck with the Avast! line by Alwil.

Their pre-boot environment scan is simple to run and excellent. It proved to me that Norton misses a lot!

Utlimately, Symantec has gone the route of McAfee and others in taking a, once laudable, utilities package and turning it into a marketing monstrosity designed to make home users feel safe even when they aren't.

Symantec's corporate antivirus solution is a little more streamlined but feels like it was written in 1998.

Go with Avast! You'll be glad you did.:grinthumb
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.