Norton and ZoneAlarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

katti36

Here's a question What version of Zone Alarm works best with Norton Systemworks 2002??
Getting alot of conflicting informatio and LOTS of problems with Norton after Zone Alarm is loaded
katti36

Which version of Zone Alarm are you using? Norton System Works 2002 is a fairly outdated product and many improvements have been encorporated into their 2006 version.
Norton has pretty much cut out updated support for any product more than 2 years old. This is not to say that updates are not available, but glitches/conflicts occur when running one program in conjunction with another one which is more up to date.
I was running the same version (2002), and was receiving minimal updates, but had to upgrade to the 2006 version. It was conflicting with other programs and was not up to speed with the changes in and updates in Windows XP SP2.

The best advice I can give you is to get rid of that Symantec/Norton crapware altogether. It`s a resource hog and quite frankly isn`t very good at killing viruses etc.

Download the free AVG or Avast antivirus programmes. You can get them HERE and HERE.

Diconnect from the net and completely uninstall Norton.

Install whichever antivirus programme you chose. Reboot your system the required number of times. Reconnect to the net and run the antivirus updates.

If you want a paid for antivirus programme, Kaspersky is about the best you can get. Take a look HERE.

Your system will run better without Symantec/Norton.

Regards Howard :)

I have both programs, The wife gets the crapware, I have all the good stuff.

I hate Norton with a passion. I have had nothing but headaches. I use ZoneAlarm Pro and love it. But its your choice.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I downloaded AVG, Norton is gone !!! My computer is running better. Never new Norton was causing half the problems on my puter
katti36

Add an extra voice to those not happy with Nortons.
Zone Alarm is pretty good but I then moved on to Sygate, no more trouble with P2P and very light on your machines resources. My notebook is very sensitive to power draining apps. Give Sygate free version a go ... you'll be happy.

For Anti Virus get rid of Nortons ... try AVG free or Avast free. Don't let the fact they are free put you off. They have held their own for some time now. Currently I run Avast and Sygate ... after almost 2 years not a single spot of trouble.

I found Zone AlarmPro 5 and especially 6 to be intrusive in every aspect of my surfing the internet, downloading applications, etc. I jettisoned ZA as soon as my subscription ran out.

Route44 said:
I found Zone AlarmPro 5 and especially 6 to be intrusive in every aspect of my surfing the internet, downloading applications, etc. I jettisoned ZA as soon as my subscription ran out.
Do you mean the Firewall aspect of this software? eg This application etc etc.. Allow/Deny?

You got to remember to click on "Remember my answer" box before selecting Allow or Deny. then everytime you open that app or site that you trust it won't pester you.

Otherwise join the Kerio Personal Firewall bandwagon :D (firewall only, no AV etc.)

N3051M said:
Do you mean the Firewall aspect of this software? eg This application etc etc.. Allow/Deny?

You got to remember to click on "Remember my answer" box before selecting Allow or Deny. then everytime you open that app or site that you trust it won't pester you.

Otherwise join the Kerio Personal Firewall bandwagon :D (firewall only, no AV etc.)

"On remember my answer" - Yes, I did do this and I did have it configured properly. its footprint,however, is too big.

As for the Kerio Personal Firewall - Yes, I have it as well as the BSODs it causes not only with my socket 939 system but on my old Pentium 3 system and the only thing both systems have in common is this firewall. Their tech support acknowledged that their firewall has this issue after my perpetual minidumps confirmed it was their software.

Antivirus-wise, NOD32 beats all of them hands down. Kaspersky has excellent detection rates but uses rootkits, making it as bad as Norton IMO. NOD32 is light, fast and has very small updates(around 400-800KB max) compared to Norton's ~5MB updates. Plus it catches everything almost instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back