Norton Disk Doctor cannot access my hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am new to the boards so here it goes...

I have Windows XP for an operating system.

Recentlly when I went to run Norton Disk Doctor to diagnose my C Drive it is giving me this error:

" The Operating System, or another process, currently has exclusive access to this drive, or some of it's files. Norton Disk Doctor cannot continue with a repair under these conditions. A repair can be scheduled to occur the next time you restart the system. Norton Disk Doctor can still diagnose this drive if 'fix errors' is unchecked. Would you like to schedule a repair?"

On re-boot the Disk Doctor still does not work and I get the same error message.

I thought it may be a virus, spyware, adware etc on my computer. I ran Nortin Anti-virus, and found nothing. I donwloaded Spybot search and destroy, and Ad Aware SE. Both found tons of stuff hidden on my computer.

Spybot kept showing 5 DSO Exploit files and after looking through this forum I found the link to the DSO Exploit removal patch for Spybot which solved that problem. Thanks!

Unfortunately I still cannot solve the Norton Disk Doctor issue. I have Norton Utilities, AntiVirus and Internet Security on the computer, all are completely updated, however Disk Doctor is the only portion of the program that will not work.

Not to mention the computer is slower than death.... better than before but still terrible...

Has anyone ever encountered such a problem before? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Saxidani

This forum is chock-a-block full of complaints about slow PCs thanks to Norton.
Join the club.
Do a search on the forum for Norton and/or Symantec and be surprised/disgusted.

I did do a search through the forums... I did see a lot of threads expressing dissaproval over the whole Norton issue in regards to speed on ones computer but I did not find mention of my primary issue.

I did not find an answer to the denial of access to my hard drive in regards to disk doctor. That was why I posted that question. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue with dsk doctor in regards to access issues...

Speed issues is a secondary issue which I will take care when I fix my primary problem, if it can be fixed.

Norton... exclusive access to drive

Saxidani, Norton (Symantec) addresses this issue on their support site.

Hmm - I just joined the forum a few minutes ago and for whatever reason I cannot post URLs; the posts are consistently disallowed ("Your Post contains one or more URLs, please remove them before submitting your message again."). So, go to Norton's website and click support. In the knowledge base search function, using ALL KNOWLEDGE BASES, not just the Norton Antivirus database, for "exclusive drive access."

The instructions are a real pain in the rear. I expect better from Norton, since this problem likely occurs in about 95% of all computers, eg, any computer wherein the system partition is the one on which the scan is attempted (with most user's systems now only having one partition).

I've not tried their fix, but will shortly... it was your question that prompted me to fix the problem on my system.

Enjoy!

remove 'fix errors' checkmark

Saxidani, hope you actually did what the Disk Doctore error says - uncheck the box marked 'fix errors' - it normally is as simple as that....

gbhall,

Yes, I did that, but when you do that it will not check the file structure of the hard drive for errors or anyhting, it skips over all of it.... hence why it isn't working...

You need to move page file

Saxidani - your problem is described on the Norton site, but I'm afraid the solution is a little complicated. You need to NOT have a windows page file on the drive C: when that is an NTFS volume

Most 'expert' users recommend having a separate partition on which there is nothing but the windows swapfile (pagefile.sys in XP). To achieve this without certain software is not possible. That is you need a partition manager capable of re-sizing your C: drive (partition) to make room for another partition (say drive E: ) upon which you then re-create your windows swap-file.

If what I have said does not make much sense to you, my advice is forget the problem - you are not in any form of trouble by not being able to run NDD (well I hope you are not, and if you are, the built-in Windows scandisk will do as good a job).

There are however, plenty of free packages available on the web to do this re-partitioning job, but please dont do it unless you have a FULL backup and know what you are doing, ok? I'm giving you the answer to your question, but not recommending you go ahead and solve it.....

Speed Disk Failed to load/NSW 2005

Saxidani:

I have had the same problem, except I also have another problem where system doctor's speed disk will not even recognize my disk drive.
I get a message that spped disk failed to load.

I recently installed System Works 2005, on a couple of PCs.
On one PC, an HP, I had a heck of a time getting NAV to install, but after un-installing and re-installing I have finally overcome that problem. On the same PC though I have this speed disk problem.

I have followed all of Norton's help "guidance" and done a clean boot, but to no avail.

I hope some one out there can help us.

Thank you,
Jake99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back