Norton GoBack/Hard Disk Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not really sure the exact problem, but whenever I boot up the computer I get the error message

GoBack rebooted your computer because it detected your system was unstable. Allowing it to continue running would have caused corruption on disk #1 This could be caused by a bug in an application or hardware problems
Code 0x15

After this, I have the option of either restoring my computer with GoBack, to no effect, or disabling GoBack, which when I try, gives me the error message

Goback needs to reboot your computer because your system has become unstable, This could be caused by memory failure, unreliable hard disk transfers or overclocking the CPU or other components
Code 0x15

I have not done anything at all to my computer that the messages are describing, and when I reboot, I recieve the same message. Safe mode does the same thing, so if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. I am using Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell 4500, and the complete Norton package.

You are going to have to reinstall the Operating Systems, but I can bet you don't have an install disc do you?

tretopflir said:
dell is sending....gonna lose all the family pics...wifes comp :(
do any of the recover programs work?

It would be a good time to start learning how to back up your cherished documents and pictures to a CD or DVD

you can repair a windows installation without losing data

and have you looked into Norton Ghost? I haven't used it before but I hear it works alright, you just need a second blank hard drive (i think)

This is an old thread that I came across looking for solutions to this very problem. I know the problem is still actual as I had it yesterday on my XP SP3 machine.

There are all sorts of intricate solutions out there. The one that caught my eye was very simple, effective and works.

I too couldn't get into my system. Rebooting took me back into GoBack and, despite trying every option they give you, I couldn't get my system to start. It merely kept rebooting, time after time afetr time. Safe mode didnt work either.

Eventually somebody advised me to, once a reboot started, hold down alt and ctrl and then keep on hitting the G key. This halts the boot process and you are asked if you want to uncouple GoBack so that it doesn't automatically start. If so, press the F key and away you go. The system came up and, as advised, I ran a chkdsk. Problem solved.

It worked for me and should work for you.

Probably not needed I know but just to be sure, if you want to actually have any disk problems solved it's chkdsk/f

.... now i'll go and teach my gran how to suck eggs.......

Although I do not know what made you reply to a 2yr old thread anyway :confused:

If you had bothered to read and understand the first sentence of my original post your attempt at sarcasm wouln't have been needed. I will try, just for you, to explain it in a simpler way.

I got the 0x15 error 2 days ago, my PC was in a loop and kept rebooting and none of the options in Norton GoBack managed to get the PC to boot. It wouldn't boot, even in Safe Mode.

I then went trawling the web, looking for a solution that works. I found several threads on various MB's where people were having the same problem. On one I found a simple solution. I tried it. It worked.

I then revisited the sites where no solution to the problem had been posted the solution. One of those sites was this one. I saw that the thread was 2 years old but, as no experts had come up with a solution and the problem still occurs out there in the real world, I decided to post the solution.

I reasoned that, if I got the problem, others might as well. If I posted a working solution that would help others.

I thought (apparently wrongly) that this type of site was meant to help each other. I tried to help and was met with pedantism and sarcasm.

.... might that be because I'm a newbie who merely thought that the site was intended to help give solutions to problems that have occurred......

Thanks MadAmster, that certainly helped
I'll continue on now, but I do hope the Check Disk info helped you too :grinthumb

hard disks often get file allocation tables and directories and other directories corrupted.
GOBACK will send it back to the previous stable state provided you have not rebooted too often.
In the meantime, boot in safe mode, and run CHKDSK C:
Now download crap cleaner and run the registry repair function.
Glarysoft (also) free is another useful tool with a registry repair tool.

I have used GOBACK for years and wouldn't use a computer without it. Saved my **** many times.

Thanks MadAmster, that certainly helped
I'll continue on now, but I do hope the Check Disk info helped you too :grinthumb

You're welcome Kimsland, and thanks for pointing out my typo :eek:

Tedster, the alt+crtl+G trick only stops GoBack coming up on your next boot. The time after that it starts up again and continues to cover your six.
Crap Cleaner.... is that really a good software tool? Is Glarysoft better? Is using both to be recommended?
PS I'm no hero when it comes to messing with registers;)

Cheers,
:mad:Amster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back