Norton Internet Security 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartender802

A friend of mine has just installed Norton Internet Security 2004 Internet is working fine but mail for Outlook Express and incredimail has stopped working all together. I get a timed out error on OutlookExpress and failed error on Incredimail. I have disabled the firewall and anti-virus still will not let me get mail, I have turned all the settings down as far as I could go and still nothing. Once I uninstall mail works great. So obviously something on Norton Internet Security is blocking the mail but what it is I am clueless.

Unfortunately not (unless you are a personal friend of the salesperson). Just messing.....
Assuming your friend runs XP, see if he has his XP-firewall blocking anything with attachments. That can be switched off and might be the cause.
Do a search on the forum with "attachment" and "outlook", there is some stuff out there with info how to do it.

Norton is extremely picky when it comes to installing (and even a LOT worse) when it comes to UNinstalling.
So begin with uninstalling Norton completely. Now reboot your PC (as Norton probably already told you).

After reboot, in Explorer do a search for both Symantec and Norton. Delete any directories with those names.

You now need to shut down every program in your Systemtray first. Then check in MSconfig if any other programs might be running that do not show up in Systemtray and shut those down too.
Re-install NIS2004. If you can, do an install of NAV by itself first.
Check if your Outlook and Incredimail still work.
If so, install the Firewall and check again.
Now install the rest of whatever is in the package (if anything).
May the luck of the Irish be with you.

Try going on cofigure personal firewall, then program control, then adding the programs which you are having the problems with. I did that with Halo and CoD when i couldnt play them online and now they work fine.

I have installed the Norton Internet Security on my laptop and had a problem at first but I allowed Incredimail to come through and got mail I think it might be something she blocked once she installed it. Goning to uninstall Norton's and remove any Norton's files at all and see what happens

If you want to install an Anti-Virus program and a Firewall as well, currently there is no better integrated package than McAfee.
Norton/Symantec is an awful resource-hogger and the web is full of bitter complaints about NAV2004 and NIS2004.
You get the shivers if you go to Symantec's website and follow all the pages upon pages on how to get rid of their (junk-)programs!

I've been noticing this thread concerning NIS2004/2005 problems. Also noticed realblackstuff's rec for McAfee. I caution all users to research their own systems and needs before loading any program based on a wholesale rec from someone else (with all due respect to rbs). I had just as many problems in the past with McAfee as others have reported with NIS, and finally pitched it 2 years ago and switched to NIS, only to find more or less the same ridiculous resource problems. I am currently a PCcillin user (happily), but what works for me may not work for others. I tend to agree that Norton has lost its lustre since being subsumed by Symantec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back