Norton Internet Security 2005 not loading, not asking for product key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scshadow

When I started researching problems with NIS 2005, I realized how much of an ***** my father was to pay 50 bucks for this product. 90 Days ago we bought a Gateway. It came with the free 90 day trial of NIS. As far as I could tell this product was doing its job fine. The problem came when we bought a year of NIS. We bought this 5 software package from gateway support and so we got NIS on a cd with a product key. I was hoping that the product key could be used on the current installation of NIS but there is appearently no way to do that. So I load the NIS disk to see what happens. It asks me to uninstall the NIS I already had on the computer. So I did. Then I proceeded to install NIS from this cd. Everything seemingly was going right, but I noticed that it never asked for the product key. But I followed through the installation with a restart. Windows loaded fine. I decieded to run live update and check the settings of NIS. I assumed that at some point it would ask for my product key. I tried 2 ways to open NIS. Using the icon on the desktop and the icon on the system tray. The computer processing light flickers a little bit but Norton doesn't load. I've checked my computer for spyware. And I attempted to use online FREE support. No way anybody would pay 30 bucks for phone support. Might as well buy mcaffe(sp). The free support had a way to activate Liveupdate from thier website. I thought couldn't hurt. Well It didn't help either. I've tried just loading the antivirus instead of the security center and it won't load either.

***edit: Yes I have tried to reinstall NIS several times.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

IMHO, I `d recommend that you completely uninstall Norton, and use something else. Take a look at this Norton thread HERE

You can get the free AVG which is very very good from HERE

You can also get the free Sygate firewall from HERE

Both the above products are a lot less problematic than Norton.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Shame 50 bucks down the drain. *uninstalls* Which is reccomended. Windows firewall or Sygate firewall? I've heard of AVG before. Is it the best free anti-virus?

Avg free is a great free antivirus programme. I`ve been using it for a long time, and have had no problems, or viruses either.

The reason I recommended the Sygate firewall is because it is very good.

I personally use the free Zonealarm firewall, I`ve used it ever since I`ve been on the net, but some people have reported compatibility issues with it.

You can get Zonealarm free from HERE

Regards Howard :) :)

BIN NORTON. uninstal it, then run a search for norton and a separate one for symantec then delete them all. it an absolute P.O.S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back