Norton Internet Security Live Update Conflict with Outlook

By cruxie
Jan 1, 2006
  1. I have never had a problem with Norton Internet Security until this morning. I downloaded a Norton Security Live Update and now I cannot download my email or send out mail in Outlook. What is the problem? Thanks to anyone who can tell me what to do.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The best thing you could do is get rid of that Symantec/Norton crap altogether.

Get the free AVG antivirus programme from HERE

Also get the free Zonealarm firewall from HERE

Once you`ve got rid of the Symantec/norton bloatware. You`ll probably notice a performance boost to your system.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

Maybe Techspot should offically announce that the forums will provide NO support for the use of SYmantec home products such as NIS or NAV. Not that this is a policy at the moment, but hey, it might make the news on other sites, and who knows - it may even start a positive trend! lol :)

People should get up each morning, and stand in front of a mirror and say to themselves three times (and intently) - "NAV is evil, NIS is evil", or errr, maybe not. :eek:
  4. Feisty49

Feisty49 TS Rookie Posts: 17

I got rid of Norton 2 weeks ago and got ZoneAlarm. Best move I ever made. Almost every time Norton downloaded an update, I had to configure it to allow my mail to come through my RoadRunner pop-server. It can be done by manually typing in you email server, but in the 2 weeks since I dumped Norton Internet Security, I've forgotten how to do it. I suggest you go to Norton's web site for help. ;)
  5. cruxie

cruxie TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I will dump Norton. Help from Symantec doesn't exist.
  6. cruxie

Yes Howard...I followed your recommendations and a definite performance boost. Thanks for the advice! this is a great site!
  7. howard_hopkinso

Glad we could help mate. Best thing you can do now, is to tell your friends to dump Symantec/Norton as well.

Maybe get them to sign up to Techspot as well.

Regards Howard :)
  8. cruxie

Well, now I'm getting more spam email since no spam blocker for that. What do you recommend as a spam blocker? thanks!
  9. howard_hopkinso

I can`t advise you on which spam blocker to get, because I don`t use outlook.

However, if you do a google search for "spam blockers", I`m sure you will be able to find something suitable.

Other members may have suggestions for you also.

Regards Howard :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.