Norton Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

strategic

This is something I am not usually faced with but will soon be removing Norton 360 on a PC I maintain. I have uninstalled Norton successfully in the past with no problem using both, the uninstall utility in the Norton directory and the removal tool.
Now I am wondering if the Norton Removal Tool is necessary or can I just simply click "uninstall" in the Norton directory with no issues.

Use the removal tool as well. Nothing indicates that the uninstall that comes with the software will do a full clean uninstall.

Thanks Route44.
So first I will uninstall, and then run the removal tool.
Much appreciated. :)
I'm a little confused here. I've always thought that the removal was to be used on a fully installed product, in lieu of the software's uninstaller. (?)

That's exactly what I thought Captain...
The last version I personally played with was 2004. Tried uninstalling with the uninstaller, had problems with it as it left residual components of the software, then came across the removal tool, and it cleared it up. Just recently, a friend of a friend tried uninstalling with the removal tool and had problems, but I never learned the details of what he did (or tried to do), maybe I should try and find out...

As far as I know the norm has been uninstaller then removal tool because the function of the removal tool is to assure a complete removal of any remaing drivers. This is not to say that the Removal Tool can't be used as the sole source but if so then why include the uninstaller in the first place?

I just uninstalled McAfee from a system and then utilized their removal tool and sure enough there was quite a number of remaining drivers that the initial uninstaller didn't remove. Yes, I know McAfee is different but I have had to do the same with Norton.

No big deal, really. If the Removal Tool does all then good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back