Norton & Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

domyue

Hi,
I just uninstalled norton systemworks (incl the liveupdate entry in add/remove programs)
Now whenever i boot up the PC, it tells me:
Windows cannot find the file...blah....c:\progra~1\symantec\liveup~1\lusetu~1.exe

I can't get rid of this error message!! I've uninstalled this same norton on another PC with the same configurations and it was ok. Just this one...please help!!

Also, now when I go to msconfig to change startup programs and restart - it doesn't change a thing on next startup. It just resets the startup list and everything is ticked...including the norton (ccapp/SNDMon) bits. This is really infuriating!
Additionally, now the Kaspersky antivirus that i installed in place of norton doesn't boot up on its own!!

Thanks

First off i would travel to Symantec's site and do a search for the Norton removal tool...this is a known issue as Norton products can be extremely hard to get rid of.
Secondly for turning on/off services you should run services.msc from the Run menu as it will save changes that you make as opposed to msconfig which doesn't.

Good Luck and let us know.

patio. :cool:

I'm not trying to remove services, I'm trying to remove startup programs that are starting up. I untick the boxes and then it starts up again (ticked) in the next restart.
And I think it's to do with Norton. As I uninstalled and yet ccapp and sndmon are still booting...Since the initial error message is a "windows cannot find...", isn't it possible to make windows NOT look for that file when it boots up??

I mean I followed norton's complete uninstall guide and still it's leaving windows with these complaints. What can be left over that can make windows try to look for the files when it boots??

And it seems like that Kaspersky antivirus isnt booting correctly (no icon in system tray)

PLEASE HELP, I'd be sooo grateful!
Thanks!

What Patio is trying to tell you is that Norton does not uninstall Cleanly and it leaves troublesome files on your system.There is an actual utility at Symantec that you run after an uninstall to perform a final cleanup.
If your Kapersky is not running correctly I recommend that you uninstall it also and do a thorough clean up of both .
There are those( Including myself) that go thru the registry and eliminate all references to uninstalled programs.You must be careful doing this however. Finally after the clean up if you re install your Anti virus(Hopefully not Norton)make sure you use the processes tab in Task Manager and turn off all processes you can before you load .
When you use Msconfig to turn off programs are you ticking the selective start up button?

There is an actual utility at Symantec that you run after an uninstall to perform a final cleanup.

Wow! I knew they were bad, but... This acctually means that they KNOW that their product is darned awfull and they couldn't care less about fixing it! On a second note, I thought leaving stuff behind on your system causing it to misbehave after uninstallation was something only poorly written virii and adware did.

Spike said:
Wow! I knew they were bad, but... This acctually means that they KNOW that their product is darned awfull and they couldn't care less about fixing it! On a second note, I thought leaving stuff behind on your system causing it to misbehave after uninstallation was something only poorly written virii and adware did.

Personnally I call it Arrogance.
I had Norton on 2 machines 3-6 years ago I will never put their product on my machines again.
I realize their stuff works for a lot of people ,but one company having control over my computers is enough !

I've converted to kaspersky and it makes my computer (well 3 of them...) noticeably faster. For all those who are skeptical: it is just the "big brand" of Symantec/Norton that really draws people. It's marketing is creditable since it is included in many machines that you buy first hand. This deal with PC companies really is cunning and people sometimes only hear of one name when it comes to "antivirus".
But I've learnt the long way that Norton really does suck...their utilities, most of them, is really quite gimmicky. I don't mean to bash Norton as such...but it really doesn't play up to lesser-heard-of programs, namely Kaspersky etc.
I'm now using Kaspersky, and I can say that it is better at what it should do and it has daily updates as opposed to Norton's weekly.

DoM

Were you able to find the un-installer from Nortons and did it resolve your issues ? ?

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back