Nostalgia is driving up the price of Apple's discontinued iPod classic

By Shawn Knight
Dec 11, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Apple quietly discontinued its long-standing iPod classic this past September. CEO Tim Cook later revealed that Apple was no longer able to source some of the key components used to build the classic iPod and redesigning it wasn't an option...

Read more
  2. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Addict Posts: 600   +57

Yeah, my brother went to buy one the other day and the price had rose about $200!
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,379   +2,167

4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,531   +836

Its not just the classic thats gone up, its the old nanos too. I wanted one (or an old sansa fuze) for a distraction free, longer batter MP3 player, and theyve all gone up. you cant find an old sansa fuze for under $80...
  5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

I lost a 5th generation Nano that I really liked. I have a 3rd gen 'fattie' that was pretty cool, but the wheel is way too sensitive.

Now I need the value of the 20 gig 4th gen clickwheel one to go up :) I have one that I hacked for S&Gs that I haven't touched in years. I'm sure it could be restored to factory settings.
  6. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Addict Posts: 295   +58

The reason why people want one now is because their old ones are dying.

Well, I guess ponoplayer might have a chance now.
  7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,531   +836

so jealousssss. never had anything till my ipod touch. The fattie was my favorite until the fifth gen. Im really sad I cant find any good current players with a wheel :(
  8. It was under 200 before? I remember saving up to get it before 160gb had to be around 200 a few years ago