Not able to boot

By fisltda
Apr 9, 2008
  1. I was scanning for some viruses on my desk computer when it started lagging really bad. I decided to restart the computer but it ended up freezing. I've tried the alt+ctrl+ del an others methods but that didn't work either so i manually closed it. When i booted up the computer a screen appeared and said:

AMIBIOS (C) 2004 American Megatrends, Inc.
    P4R800-VM-NEC ACPI BIOS Revision 1001.014
    Intel (r) Pentium (r) 4 CPU 2.80 GHz
    Speed : 2.80GHz

Press (F2) to run Setup
    Press (F8) for BBS POPUP
    Checking NVRAM..
    Initializing USB Controllers..Done
    192MB + 64MB Share Memory

Auto-detecting Pri Master..IDE Hard Disk
    Auto-detecting Sec Master.. ATAPI CD-ROM
    Auto-detecting Sec Slave..ATAPI CD-ROM
    Pri Master : Maxtor 6Y080L0 YAR41BW0
    Ultra DMA Mode-6, S.M.A.R.T. Capable but Disabled

Please, help me
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

The boot up sequence looks right. Auto detecting.
    But what happens after that?

Can you get to safe mode (pressing F8 on the keyboard at Windows startup)

Also what make and model is this computer
  3. fisltda

fisltda TS Rookie Topic Starter

Packard Bell, i xtreme
    It´s stayed froze. Once I pressed (F8), ¨Press (F8) for BBS POPUP¨ line changes to ¨Boot Selection Popup menu has been celected¨, stays there and the display stays the same with the exception of the line I mention above.
    When (F2) is pressed the line ¨Press (F2) to run Setup¨ changes to ¨Entering SETUP...¨ and stays displaying the same page.
    I hope you can keep helping me.
  4. kimsland

This sounds like a failed HardDrive.
    I believe you may need it looked at

If possible remove the HardDrive and plug into another computer, test and backup from there
  5. fisltda

I removed the ribbon cable from the HDD and been able to boot from the CD drive, while booting reconnect the cable. There´s no inconvenience to erase the old partition and a new partition can be done without any problem. After it´s done the new partition it´s impossible to boot from the HDD and stay froze. If, I repeat the same sequence as same as above by removing the cable and so on the unit can be boot from the CD drive and back to the partition again. I think the HDD boot isn´t there or damage. What can I do? Help me.
    Thanks a lot!
  6. kimsland

You can damage your Motherboard doing this.

Have the HardDrive replaced, or download a drive diagnostic tester:
  7. fisltda

Which will be the best diagnostic test I can found or recommended? Can I store it in a pen drive and download from it?
    Thank you!
  8. Gflo

Gflo TS Rookie Posts: 81

boot up sequence is fine. i get the same thing when i startup my computer but it does not freeze
  9. kimsland

Select the manufacture drive diagnostic test (from the above link) that best describes your model of your HardDrive (you will need to remove and read the label on your internal HardDrive.

The drive diagnostic tests are usually run from bootable CD or floppy.
    Although you can use a pen drive (made bootable) this is more difficult and also depends on if your computer allows boot from USB
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.