TechSpot

Not able to copy/paste/drag/drop folder, can't update AV, can't run MalwareBytes

Inactive
By stteng
May 23, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a serious problem and I hope that you can help me.

I can't copy/paste/drag/drop folders. IE7 flashes on and off when opened. My AV software, BullGuard can't be updated. I can't run my installed MalwareBytes program. Also my services don't work right. I have trouble running System Restore. I can't get into Safe Mode. I can't run my Windows Installer service. I can't display my Network Places connection icons. I don't think that I can install or uninstall programs OK.

I was stupid and should have been more careful but I did run RegCure and had it fix what was free. I am NOT sure what exactly happened but I think that chkdsk ran since my FAT32 partition was questionable. I am NOT sure what chkdsk did to my C:\ drive. I should have been MORE careful when I saw that my PC had several BSODs. I should have copied down their stop codes.

Should I just salvage what I can and reformat my drive?

Please help me. I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance
    stteng

P.S. Please be as detailed in your instructions as possible since I am NOT MS certified. My knowledge comes from exposure and my mistakes.

P.P.S. Please forgive me if I should have read other people's threads and also any fixed threads.
  2. stteng

stteng TS Rookie Topic Starter

more

I just wanted to say that I don't want to panic and make the situation even worse.

I appreciate ANY help given! I also would like to know what to do the next time this happens.

The reason that I am posting my thread here is that someone with almost the same problems posted their thread here. I am hoping that I can get help too.

Thanks
    stteng
  3. Broni

Broni Malware Annihilator Posts: 46,708   +254

First of all, never use any registry tools. They won't cure anything, but they often will make things worse.
    Secondly, do have a reason to believe, your situation has been caused by some kind of infection?
  4. stteng

thanks

I wanted to add that my extended services tab is blank.

It is true that I may be suffering from my own mistakes. I HATE BSODs. They make me panic and NOT think right! I am wondering if this problem could have been avoided if I had solved my first BSOD.

Now I am disappointed and SAD since I rely on that PC. I guess I could chalk it up and NOT cry over spilled milk.

I need to regroup and DO THE RIGHT thing! I hope that the problem isn't from a virus/spyware. To be fair, I haven't been surfing as much in places that I shouldn't have.

Thanks for your reply
    stteng
  5. Broni

Well, if you don't think, you're dealing with some infection, then I suggest, you post at Windows forum, instead of here.
  6. stteng

Sorry

I am sorry to bother you and waste your time. It is just that I am NOT 100% sure and I also may miss something.

I will take my post somewhere else.

Sorry again
    stteng
  7. Broni

No problem :)
  8. stteng

questions; wierd

How can I be sure that my problem isn't virus/spyware/malware related?

Isn't it funny that I can't update my AV definitions? Isn't it funny that my copy/paste/drag/drop folders/files doesn't work? Isn't it funny that I can't install NEW programs and can't even uninstall old programs? Isn't it funny that I can't run [MalwareBytes] program? Isn't it funny that I can't display my Network Connections right? Isn't it wierd that my Extended Services tab is BLANK? Isn't it funny that NO taskbar application windows appear?

That is why I suspect that my PC is infected.

Am I right?

stteng
  9. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

Please download VEW and save it to your Desktop:

Setting up the program

Double-click VEW.exe then under Select log to query, select:
    • Application
      [*] System

Under Select type to list, select:
    • Critical (Vista only)
    • Error

Click the radio button for Number of events
    • Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
    • Then click the Run button.
    • Notepad will open with the output log.

Load the log
    • In Notepad, click Edit> Select all
    • Then press Edit > Copy
    • Press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log to your next reply.

(Courtesy rev-Olie)

Just post the results- without the sarcasm. All of those "isn't it funny" comments could be due a system problem.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.