Inactive Not able to copy/paste/drag/drop folder, can't update AV, can't run MalwareBytes

Status
Not open for further replies.

stteng

I have a serious problem and I hope that you can help me.

I can't copy/paste/drag/drop folders. IE7 flashes on and off when opened. My AV software, BullGuard can't be updated. I can't run my installed MalwareBytes program. Also my services don't work right. I have trouble running System Restore. I can't get into Safe Mode. I can't run my Windows Installer service. I can't display my Network Places connection icons. I don't think that I can install or uninstall programs OK.

I was stupid and should have been more careful but I did run RegCure and had it fix what was free. I am NOT sure what exactly happened but I think that chkdsk ran since my FAT32 partition was questionable. I am NOT sure what chkdsk did to my C:\ drive. I should have been MORE careful when I saw that my PC had several BSODs. I should have copied down their stop codes.

Should I just salvage what I can and reformat my drive?

Please help me. I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance
stteng

P.S. Please be as detailed in your instructions as possible since I am NOT MS certified. My knowledge comes from exposure and my mistakes.

P.P.S. Please forgive me if I should have read other people's threads and also any fixed threads.

more

I just wanted to say that I don't want to panic and make the situation even worse.

I appreciate ANY help given! I also would like to know what to do the next time this happens.

The reason that I am posting my thread here is that someone with almost the same problems posted their thread here. I am hoping that I can get help too.

Thanks
stteng

First of all, never use any registry tools. They won't cure anything, but they often will make things worse.
Secondly, do have a reason to believe, your situation has been caused by some kind of infection?

thanks

I wanted to add that my extended services tab is blank.

It is true that I may be suffering from my own mistakes. I HATE BSODs. They make me panic and NOT think right! I am wondering if this problem could have been avoided if I had solved my first BSOD.

Now I am disappointed and SAD since I rely on that PC. I guess I could chalk it up and NOT cry over spilled milk.

I need to regroup and DO THE RIGHT thing! I hope that the problem isn't from a virus/spyware. To be fair, I haven't been surfing as much in places that I shouldn't have.

Thanks for your reply
stteng

Well, if you don't think, you're dealing with some infection, then I suggest, you post at Windows forum, instead of here.

Sorry

I am sorry to bother you and waste your time. It is just that I am NOT 100% sure and I also may miss something.

I will take my post somewhere else.

Sorry again
stteng

questions; wierd

How can I be sure that my problem isn't virus/spyware/malware related?

Isn't it funny that I can't update my AV definitions? Isn't it funny that my copy/paste/drag/drop folders/files doesn't work? Isn't it funny that I can't install NEW programs and can't even uninstall old programs? Isn't it funny that I can't run [MalwareBytes] program? Isn't it funny that I can't display my Network Connections right? Isn't it wierd that my Extended Services tab is BLANK? Isn't it funny that NO taskbar application windows appear?

That is why I suspect that my PC is infected.

Am I right?

stteng

Please download VEW and save it to your Desktop:

Setting up the program

Double-click VEW.exe then under Select log to query, select:
  • Application
    [*] System

Under Select type to list, select:
  • Critical (Vista only)
  • Error

Click the radio button for Number of events
  • Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
  • Then click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log.

Load the log
  • In Notepad, click Edit> Select all
  • Then press Edit > Copy
  • Press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log to your next reply.

(Courtesy rev-Olie)

Just post the results- without the sarcasm. All of those "isn't it funny" comments could be due a system problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back