Not Able To Install Drivers For Numark NS7 DJ Controller

jpoole23

Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965
Processor: 2.1GHz AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core
Memory: 3GB, DDR2 800 MHz
Hard Drive: 250GB 5,400rpm

Windows 7 Home Premium; 32-Bit...(Used to be a Vista)

Hey Tech Support Team,

I'm am having a hard time installing the drivers for my Numark NS7 DJ Controller. I've had the drivers on this laptop before. But when my NS7 hardware started acting up and I tried updating my drivers or re-install them (from this site; http://www.numark.com/product/ns7?tt=5 ). It wont let me saying ' unfortunately the installation failed; error timeout - 0x0005 ' when I try and install the drivers with the connected USB and the hardware off (the way I think you are supposed to do it). It says ' unfortunately the installation failed; error timeout - 0x0006 ' when I try and install the drivers with the hardware turned on.

When I plug in my NS7 I think Windows also tries to install them.automatically I get this message.
'Device driver software was not successfully installed'
'USB Composite - Yes (green check)
Numark USB Audio Device - No (red x) Device Unplugged
Numark USB Audio Device - No (red x) No driver found'

In the software (Serato ITCH) forums, the software needed to run my Numark NS7 hardware. They had me install a midi-link that I installed from here http://www.dankadata.com/files.html . But still outcome when trying to install NS7 drivers.

Thank you in advance for any help, this laptop and the DJ equipment that runs off it is how I make a living and right now everything is on a pause, your help is greatly appreciated!

- Jon

I think best way to start tackling this problem is to make sure all the old drivers are uninstalled before we try to reinstall.

Before we begin, note this instruction in your installation guide
IMPORTANT: Do NOT connect the NS7 to your PC before you are prompted to do so. The installer will prompt you to connect it at the appropriate time
That's to assure the Numark NS7 drivers are on your machine BEFORE Windows goes searching for drivers for the USB device that gets plugged in. (If you plug the device in too soon, Windows may select a generic or some other driver on the machine because the latest Numark ones aren't there yet)

All that said, first unplug the device from your computer.
> Look in Control Panel->Programs and Features and uninstall any Numark or Midi-Software or anything related to your device you find there
> Then s[FONT=Arial]ee How To Report Your Computer's Device Manager Data. Be sure you SAVE AS Tab delimited text. Upload the file to your next post. It'll let me see if what, if any, relavant drivers have been left behind we should uninstall before trying to reinstall[/FONT]

Thank you!

When I was un-installing the midi-link program it said that not all files could be un-installed and that some had to be removed manually?

The only things I saw in 'un-install programs' was the midi-link program and Serato ITCH, the software that runs the NS7.

Attachments

• Drivers.txt
    105.1 KB · Views: 12
I looked at the product site. I saw and downloaded a copy of the NS7 drivers. I see there's a separate section and download for Serato Itch.

At this point I don't know the right answer so I'm just asking: Do you run one or both of these downloads? If both, in what order?

/* EDIT */
Also: Do you only plug one USB device (one usb cable) into the computer? Or do you need to plug in more then one cable?

I pretty sure when you install ITCH its supposed to also installs the drivers. The link I posted earlier was just a spot on their website where you can download the drivers separately.

There is 2 pieces of hardware with two different USB cables, the other one is just for a FX bar used for effects and is optional (meaning you dont have to use it to run the NS7). But yes, there is 2 USB cables.

There is 2 pieces of hardware with two different USB cables, the other one is just for a FX bar used for effects and is optional (meaning you dont have to use it to run the NS7). But yes, there is 2 USB cables.

OK. It looked like I saw driver entries for two distinctly different Numark USB devices in your report. So, your answer makes sense and confirms what I thought I was seeing.

Since you know these hardware devices and how/when the used to work before, let me ask if the following steps make sense to you.. I'd have you
  1. Uninstall all the driver remnants I see still installed for these devices on your machine
  2. Next re-install the ITCH install package first, make sense?
  3. If needed can next run the updated driver installation from Numark
Finally, I'm not really sure what the the other USB device is. Does it have its own install package or do you just plug it in? (It appears to be using the default Windows driver at the moment).
> When do you think it should be connected in this sequence?
> Does it have its own install package or not?

Yes, the 1-2-3 steps makes sense to me.

I just plug it in, I've been dealing with this thing for awhile now and I have yet to notice anything about having to plug in the FX Bar during ITCH (software) installation or updates. Though sometimes I do just because it makes sense to me personally :/.
> I would say that it doesn't have to. Numark never mentions it.
> I honestly dont know whether it did or not. Though when selecting updates and installations, it normally gives you the option of NS7 or NS7FX. Not everyone has the FX Bar, I got mine months after getting the NS7 itself.

I hope all this effort pays off. Will have to wait till we get to the re-install to find out <fingers crossed>

Device Manager
Your DevMgr report, shows 15 driver entries still in your registry we want to remove. In your case, they can found using Device Name.
> Run the DevManView tool again. (Note: You can alpha sort the results A to Z or Z to A by clicking on the Device Name column header
> For your case, all the Numark devices can be found by Device Name. Scroll down and you'll find find 15 entries with device names that start Numark
> You can unisntall one or more entries at at time by selecting one or more entries then at top of DevManView window click File->Uninstall Selected Devices. The tool will uninstall the selected entries

INF files
Every driver has as an INF file. Most (but not all) INF files can be found under the Windows/inf directory. Let's search your Windows drive at this point to see if what, if any, Numark product INF files may still be lying around

Install and run SearchMyFiles. Set the following items (as example, also see thumbnail below)
> Base Folders: Click Browse button to select your Windows 7 drive letter
> Files Wildcard: Type *.inf
> Set the pull down menus to: File Contains and Text, then type in Numark
> Click Start Search button. A search results window pops open while search is running. Look at bottom of that window to see when done.
> When done, post what it may have found. At top of result window Edit->Select All then Edit->Copy Files Information. You can paste that into your next post.

Numark.jpg

ns7_midi.infC:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ns7_midi.inf_x86_neutral_6ee289c8e5fb26d02,22511/13/2009 12:26:26 PM11/13/2009 12:26:26 PM11/23/2010 5:38:20 PMAinf271....[Manufacturer]..%MfgName%=NUMARK....[DestinationDirs]..MIDIDEVICE.NT.CopyList = 10,system32\drivers....[NUMARK]..%MIDIDEV.DeNT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
ns7_usb.infC:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ns7_usb.inf_x86_neutral_f9e0050ba927f5961,32711/13/2009 12:26:26 PM11/13/2009 12:26:26 PM11/23/2010 5:38:20 PMAinf272....[Manufacturer]..%MfgName%=Numark....[Numark]..%Numark_DeviceDesc%=USBDRIVER.Dev, USB\VID_15E4&PID_0071....[PreCopySection]..NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
ns7_wdm.infC:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ns7_wdm.inf_x86_neutral_2746dfaeb4c667723,11511/13/2009 12:26:26 PM11/13/2009 12:26:26 PM11/23/2010 5:38:20 PMAinf288s]..ExcludeFromSelect = MEDIA\NUMARKNS7AUDIOADAPTER....[Manufacturer]..%MfgName%=DEVICE_LIST....[DEVICE_LIST]..%AUDIO_DEVICE_USBNT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Yes! both my hands have crossed fingers.

I hope I did all that right. There were 3 items that were found.

Also, I don't know if it's important or if you could tell already. But, this computer used to be a Vista before I bought it. Thanks!

Glad we did that search. The results reminded me that Windows 7 keeps a staged version of 3rd party drivers it previously approved for installation. (Windows loves to hide things from the basic user. Here's yet another example)

See Microsoft info about how to Remove a Driver Package from the Driver Store
Step 1: Follow the instructions on how "To determine the name of the driver packages in the driver store".

The Microsoft link also explains how to "Remove a staged package from the driver store". Any Numark packages are probably easily spotted in the list from Step 1. But if you'd like me to review the output of Step 1 first, before you remove anything, here's how to copy the contents of a Command Prompt window so you can you paste it elsewhere

1. Right click the "title bar" that appears at the top of each window. The title for this one will probably be something like Select Administrator: Command Prompt
2. Right click, select click Edit->Select All then Edit->Copy
3. The list may be long so probably best to paste the list into Notepad, save it as a .txt file then upload the file to your next post

To open Notepad, click Start->All Programs->Accessories->Notepad

Ok. I think I did everything right lol. That was definitely out of my element.

I could only find 2 Numark Driver Packages. I think I deleted them correctly. One wouldn't delete at first, I hope I did the right thing after. I uploaded 2 different Logs, one is the original list with everything there (before I deleted anything). And the other is the log of me hopefully successfully deleting the Driver Packages.

Attachments

• PromptLog2.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 6
  • PromptLog.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 1
Good work. (y)

Next step will be the re-install. I'm going to go look at the download install packages so will probably be back next with questions about your hardware in deciding what we download and install next

Ohh... I now see the links for pictures of both. I see one comes with the "add-on" but seems they're still different (since effects are different). Does that mean you have NSFX? plus an NS7?

/* EDIT */
Gotcha. I think I also read your last post too quick. Looks like you do the the NSFX plus the NS7. Will go look at the downloads

Yea kind of. The NS7 is the turntables, the main part, the NSFX Bar is just an extra piece providing more effects. Not everyone has the NSFX Bar.

OK. So now I understand there just the two downloads: ITCH v2.2.2 plus Numark's 32-bit driver update package.

I'm going to try and look at just what drivers and versions each of these packages load before we attempt the install. So I won't have further info till tomorrow (btw... where you located? Curious of difference in our time zones)

Chicago here.. We're almost neighbors (well, kinda) but in any case only an hour apart. G'nite ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Back