Not booting up during reload of XP

Hodsocks

I am trying to reload Windows XP on a machine but after it goes through copying the files and reboots, it either goes to a black screen, gets to the XP screen and the blue squares freeze rather than moving across the screen or even the XP logo appears but the screen is very dark and the logo is barely visible. I originally tried a repair install but without success due to the above.
I reformatted the drive during the reload but don't seem to be getting anywhere, I have run WD diagnostics and the drive seems to be fine, I have checked the memory and it seems to be fine. I tried another hard drive and still have the same issue.
The pc was fine until a couple of days ago it installed some updates that seemed to take an age to install and then it wouldn't boot up.
Any suggestions as to the cause of the issue?

Hi Hodsocks,

If you have another Windows OS disk, trying installing with the same. It could be that the cd is corrupt.
Also try clicking on the link below to check for correct steps for installing Windows XP. Though the drivers section is related to Dell Systems, the rest of the process is for Windows OS installation.

[FONT=Arial]http://dell.to/140lPlq[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Please reply if you have further queries.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Thanks and regards,
Babita G
#iworkforDell [/FONT]

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site[FONT=Calibri] .[/FONT]

I have tried 2 different discs with the same outcome, the system isn't booting as far as the GUI part of installation but stopping just before it reaches that part.

I finally got to the bottom of the problem after an error message appeared in the BIOS "Enabling unleashing mode failed", when I checked the settings they were all over the place, I reset it back to default settings and everything is now installing as it should do. I am a little confused why the settings had changed though as the guy who owns the pc is 91 and I doubt if he had been messing in the BIOS, one of life's mysteries I guess.

Hi Hodsocks,

[LEFT]Sometimes,problems are encountered when installing Windows XP on SATA hard disk drives as the Windows XP Setup Installation Interface does not detect and recognize the hard disks mounted on the S-ATA Ports. Since the XP Installer cannot detect the physical disks on the computer system, it is unable to continue installing Windows XP and you have to forcibly quit the installation.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]This can be corrected by changing BIOS settings. Disabling AHCI or RAID in order to use native SATA/IDE emulation mode or vice-versa helps resolve this issue and the same may have happened when BIOS was reset to default on your system.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]It is great to know that the issue is resolved and we hope your computer is working fine now.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Please feel free to contact us if you have further queries.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit ourSupport Site .

Back