Not Connecting to Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Microsoft 4 Port Wired & Wireless Router. I have a PC that attaches to the wired Router no problems. I have PC and a Laptop that connect via wireless with no problems. I have a second Laptop that is not connecting at all. It can connect to the network but not the internet. If i let it set up under DHCP mode it connects to the 169.x.x.x IP range. the problem is my router is in the 192.168 range. When i plug in the Microsoft Wireless Card to my laptop an manually configure the IP address it can connect to my network but it won't connect to the internet at all. Does anybody have any suggestions.

You need to give the laptop a static IP in the same range as the router....set the default gateway as the IP adress of the router

I've done both of these. I've set the Laptop with an IP address in range and the gateway is the router address. Its still not connecting to the internet but connecting to shares

obiwan999 said:
I've done both of these. I've set the Laptop with an IP address in range and the gateway is the router address. Its still not connecting to the internet but connecting to shares

connects to the 169.x.x.x IP range. the problem is my router is in the 192.168

As long as you have the 169.254.x.x, you will not get to the Internet. This is
a non-routable address.

Suggest you wire the new laptop to the router, and config the DHCP, et al
to get you running. Once that works, you can go back to the wireless config,
set the proper SSID and keys to run as you intend.

i know with the 169.254 Range of IP's that i can't connect to the internet. My problem is when i connect the Laptop either wirelessly or wired. The DHCP also goes back to the 169.254. range of IPs. And it does this with multiple Network cards. And even when i manually set the IP I can connect to my network but not to the internet with the laptop

check u have the DNS servers IP addresses in your IP settings. Under where you put the static IP and default gateway

Have you checked the router itself? Some routers have a feature called "MAC filtering" that block a MAC address if certain conditions are met. The fact that you are getting a 169 address from both wired AND wireless means that the router is denying you a lease, and it recognizes the DHCP attempt from this system by its MAC. If you don't already know the MAC of the laptop, run IPCONFIG /ALL, check the physical address, and compare it to anything you find in the router. HTH

disable dhcp in router
dhcp assigning and renewing ip address
if all static this should be disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back