Not just a hello

Which operating system you would prefer to use ?

1. Windows XP

2. Windows 2000

0 vote(s)
  3. Windows VISTA

0 vote(s)
  4. Other Windows OS

Multiple votes are allowed.
By jay1648
Apr 28, 2008
  1. Hi everybody. It's the first time i've come into a forum. I normally don't register or post in any forum. I'm a Computer programmer and too much involved with computers. I like to troubleshoot and explore every possible aspects of a computer. So I will try to help you all here. You can PM me specially if you have any problem in your broadband connection specifically, because I work for a very big broadband provider of UK and that too in technical support.

So don't hesitate to ask any questions you have... I will be happy to answer if i can.

Thank you
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Here's a question about ISP support
    Why won't ISP's allow your IP to be changed on request?
    Many users ask for this, through their ISP, with a flat "No", response.
    Is it such a big thing for IP change, without reason ?
  3. jay1648

jay1648 TS Rookie Topic Starter

ISP gives you a dynamic ip everytime you connect to broadband. And this dynamic IP is not given by any human being. It's done thru an automated server called "DHCP".
    However if you want to request a specfic IP address and want to always connect to internet with the same IP address then you need to request for a Static Ip address(sometimes only given with a business broadband).
    If you request a specific ip address (for example: then it will not be possible for them to serve this request for everyone because there may be more than one person requesting the same ip address which is why they have eliminated this procedure of giving a specific ip address at consumer's request.
    By the way there should not be a reason why you would request a specific ip address , may be just because you like the ip, but that doesn't count here. However requesting a static ip address may of use to you at some conditions. Which is why isps don't normally deal with any request of giving any specific ip address to a user.
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

It does clear this up, so I'll ask another question.

The assigned dynamic IP to my modem from my ISP (DHCP Server) is always the same. I suspect this is to do with my account, as replacing the modem gives the same dynamic IP all the time.

Does the DHCP Server give out these IPs consecutively in sequence, or is it random. I understand there is a specified range.
    But if I opened an account, then straight away opened another account, would my IP addresses be like 1 apart?

I ask this, because if that does hold true. Then any IP above mine (on the same DHCP Server) would be newer than mine, and any below (numerically) would be older. Or is it all just random.

Also, due to your answer (no human intervention) then it may be posiible that you might not know this answer. But it would be interesting to know, if I went to someones home/business on their IP (obviously same DHCP Server), PC servicing related. If they were more longer termers than myself. Without contacting the ISP.
    Only from their IP.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.